Thursday, June 12, 2014

To Evie From Dad

Evie Bee, 

Oh, my Evie Bee.

You are growing into a kind, gentile, and caring little girl. As you grow, I’ve seen your heart come out in the most amazing ways. It is so clear to me and your mom that you’re going to be something special.

In the last month, you’ve learned to give kisses, you reach for your memaw and papa, and want no one other than your mom at night – you were crying one night while I was working late; when I went in to rock you to sleep, you looked at me and clearly thought “you’re not my mom.” When I come home, you’re usually waiting at the window to see me ride up, and when I get in the house, you always want a kiss and a hug – it’s the best part of my day!


Being your dad is a special honor that I cherish every day. I want nothing more than for you to be happy, content, and at peace with yourself and others. You are on your way to all those things, and more.

Most mornings, I get to play with you while Mom catches a few more minutes of sleep. I love spending time with you in the quite of the morning, when it’s only you and me. The house is quite, the floor is cold, and we cuddle together imagining what joys the day will bring.

Today, you and I played with a hammer and nail for over an hour; and, by most accounts, we weren’t doing anything, but I didn’t want to be anywhere else in the world.  You are also starting to walk (with some help), and we do laps around the living room holding you up so you don’t fall over. As you grow, you are becoming more adventurous, and you’re failing down stairs, off couches, and off little tables, but you always stop crying when I pick you up, dust you off, and kiss your wound.


This first year has been amazing, and I can’t wait for all the years to come. I love you Evie Bee.

Love Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment