Friday, June 20, 2014

Our Love Story Part 2

I continued to write my letters throughout the Summer before my Sophomore year.  I grew in my love for my unknown husband.  I also took the advice of someone close to me and wrote down my 10 standards for my spouse.  It's in the back of my second journal and they are high (Bob matched all of them).  I headed back to school hopeful and excited about what I might experience or who I might meet.


I can remember the day that I moved in to the upper class man housing on the CCU campus for my Sophomore year.  I was so grateful to have found a place to live considering I had no roommate plans (my previous roommates all transferred) and I wasn't sure where I was going to live.  I had met a wonderful friend Shari, and she just happened to have a open spot in her room so she invited me.  That was literally the first week in August.  Whew I had found a place!



CCU has co ed upper class man housing.  The buildings are basically a 3 story apartment building with 4 apartments on each floor.  They way the kept it co ed was having 3 girls rooms to 1 guys room on one level and then vice versa on another.  Of course each level had an RA.  Well, I managed to get myself in the sole girls room on a guy floor and who but Bob Longmire lived in the apartment directly across from me.  Day 1 that I moved in, Bob came strolling across the hall tan, tall, dark, handsome, athletic, (a few pounds lighter) and happy to meet me.  I remember what he was wearing, I remember what I was wearing.  As he strode out the door my one thought was "oh dear, there I go...crushing again."  I was quickly put into the right mentality when I discovered that he was in a long distance relationship at the time.  Friend Zone it is!


Bob and I became fast friends.  He was easy to talk to, I had no agenda (I just hoped), and we began this fun and chill friendship.  He was a Trash Clubber (picture guys singing, chanting and running through campus picking up trash) and a youth ministry major.  He played ultimate frisbee and spent his time livin' life.  He had classes on one side of the campus while I spent all of my time off campus at the Music Building. We honestly would never have run across each other except that he lived across from me.  CCU had an open door policy and while the weather cooperated we kept our apartment doors open.  We saw each other, and often.  All of us including Bob's buddy Mike Jenkins and Rusty grew to be awesome friends.  I really sealed my awesomeness when they all discovered that I could cook and stuff other than tuna and Ramen.  Bob was over all the time for my food.


I can remember when a group of us went to Casa Bonita.  Bob, a high school diver, found himself a job as a cliff diver.  He talked all night to me about diving and I drank it all in.  Man my heart was growing for this guy.  Just one problem.  Bob was young, and kind of full of himself.  He had such a strength, but sometimes he could just be a jerk (It's okay, I asked if I could say that:).  He was, of course, still in a relationship back home and as our friendship grew I found myself in prayer daily about keeping my heart protected.  One of my roommates was convinced that I should "just steal him."  Well that wasn't right.  Yes I was attracted to him, but I wasn't ultimately sure he was really the best for me.

                     
We had so many deep conversations. He was smart and had a heart that sought Jesus even if he was somewhat self-serving.  I could see a moldable heart, at least that is what I hoped I saw.  One night I was home alone and Bob came over to hang out.  We got into a conversation about some of our roommates, one of which had recently had a conversation with Bob that had infuriated her.  "She doesn't like me very much, does she?  Why?" he asked.  "I spoke honestly with her? What did I do wrong?"  I hesitated recognizing that as his friend and sister in Christ it was my responsibility to be honest and forthcoming with him.


What I had to say was either going to make him respect me or run from me.  "Well, Bob, you're kind of an arrogant jerk."  I had this Spirit inside of me that kept speaking to me "Bethany, if he can hear honest feedback and grow then he is worth it.  If not then he isn't right for you."  That moment after I spoke was so long.......will this be it?

No comments:

Post a Comment