Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Our Love Story Part 6

At this point in the story, if you are still hanging with me, there is probably a very curious part of you that is ready to know what in the world is up with the hair.  Well if it makes you feel any better, at this point in our story even I was wondering what was up with the hair.  As our relationship progressed, every time I would ask him if he was going to ever cut it again, he would reply vaguely, "Someday." My clean cut Father was "curious" to be sure.




In November following his accident, we had a talk about when we might consider getting engaged. The reality was that we were poor and young and affording a ring might as well have been impossible.  I felt frustrated because, lets face it, when you know you are committed to someone, the purity battle becomes MONUMENTALLY difficult.  As Christmas ebbed closer we decided to split the holiday visiting his family in Illinois and my family in Colorado.  With every quiet moment or trip to a special place I hoped that magically he had found a ring and was going to propose.  Illinois passed with nothing.  We headed to Colorado following Christmas day for a few days in the mountains with them.


Little did I know that Bob's Mom had given him a diamond of hers back in November and that part of the trip to Illinois was to pick up the ring that Bob's Dad was having redone for me.  To this day I am amazed Bob held it until he could ask Daddy for my hand.  Such a good guy.

I had a busy day on December 29th.  I was scheduled to work at my part time REI job and so I left Bob up in the mountains and worked until 5 or so.  I got to Mom and Dad's around 6, and changed into the most god awful comfy clothes possible (I laugh at my own self in theses pictures).  There we all were, Mom, Dad, Grandma, Bob and I when he said he had something special for me.  He got up from the table and filled a box with water.



He brought it over and proceeded to wash my feet and dry them with his hair.  He told the the story of the woman who washed the Lords feet with her tears and dried them with her hair.  "Just as the woman did not deserve God's grace, Bethany, I don't deserve you.  I love you and want to spend the rest of my life loving you.  Will you marry me?" He had asked for my hand that day and my entire sweet family witnessed it all.  Without hesitation I said "YES!"


Unbeknownst to Bob he had done the one thing that I prayed my beloved would do without even knowing it.  He had washed my feet.  And his hair?  He knew he was serious about me from the start.  Not long after our first date he knew he wanted to marry me and chose to do something big about it.  No one knew why he grew out his hair.  It was a gesture of great commitment.......for me.


Let me tell you, when you let Him, God can write and unbelievable story.

Now about that first kiss.....

No comments:

Post a Comment