Tuesday, March 1, 2011

You Can Take the Girl From the Mountains...

but you can't take the mountains from the girl!

This statement is so true for me and every time I go back to the Rocky Mountains I realize that I left a part of my heart up there in those snow capped peaks. This past week was the first time that our little Lily Grace got to see those beautiful mountains and we had such a fun time visiting with family and friends. Since we didn't get to go anywhere for Christmas this year, my Aunt Jayne had this fantastic idea that we all celebrate Christmas in February. So we scheduled our flights and headed to the mountains for a February holiday. I have to say, I almost had more fun in February than I can remember having in December. Maybe it was because the world wasn't so crazy, the stores weren't as full, the airport wasn't as stressful and the family got to take a mini vacation. Whatever it was, the week was fantastic!

It all started at 6AM last Tuesday when Bob dropped Lily and I off at the airport.


I had planned for a week how I was going to handle a baby, diaper bag, two suitcases and a car seat (and myself of course). Honestly it worked out far better than I had expected. I just put the baby in the Bjorn and she LOVED it. She is so aware of her world now and the airport just blew her mind. It was so fun to watch her smile at everyone and look at the passersby. We managed to get through security with little trouble and we got to dodge the whole full body scanner thing because of the baby. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Lily was a trooper as we took her in and out of the Bjorn. I think she thought it was fun!


Unfortunately, her first air travel experience was not! First of all, we got stuck in a jam packed flight. Fortunately, we were able to sit on the aisle, but that did little to assuage the screaming baby. Lily decided to fuss and scream for 2 hours of the 3 and a half hour flight. She would try to sleep then scream, try to sleep then scream, eat, try to sleep then scream, eat again try to sleep then scream. This pattern happened 4 times. The only time that I could get her to sit still and not fuss was when she was eating so I thoroughly overfed my child. Thankfully the last hour or so she finally dozed off and everyone within a 10 row radius was finally not giving me the stink eye. Yes for all of you who are travelers...Lily and I were "those people with the screaming baby." I felt so sorry for the guy that drew the short stick between me and yes a 300 plus passenger.

Well we made it and Grandma and Grandpa were so excited to see her. She is so smiley now and once we got her some much needed sleep she was the entertainment we all needed. Going up to 8000 feet of altitude and having the air be completely dry made sleeping for both baby and mom and little challenging. Once we got past the first 2 days though, Lily slept like a rock. There is something about the quiet mountains that can make you sleep and Lily did. I was hoping that taking her to CO would give me a chance to break her of the need to always sleep in her swing and it did! Wonderful. It was even better because I got to give Grandma the baby at 5AM and go back to sleep! I love grandparents.


Grandma and Great Grandma had a wonderful time with her and sang songs while doing whatever necessary to get her to smile. Lily's favorite thing was when Grandma would grab her little hands and ask her how big she was. Then she would put her hands over her head and say "you are SO big."




Made Lily smile every time.

When we weren't playing with the baby we headed out for a mountain walk. We bundled up the baby and headed up the hill.


Lily loved it and found the mountains mesmerizing.


I was so blessed on this trip because I got to reconnect with a couple of friends that I haven't seen in years. We had lunch with my dear friend Melissa who I have known since we were wee little ones.


She and I spent countless sleep overs together and even ended up cheering for the same high school. We haven't seen each other in almost three years so it was wonderful to catch up even if it was brief.


Later in the week we got to see Liesl and her fiance. It was so awesome to see her again considering that I haven't seen her since my wedding nearly 7 years ago! Liesl and her family have been some of my dearest friends and will always remain extended family in my mind. Her family lives in Texas and Ohio so it was so nice to see her!


Stay tuned for Part 2 of our February Holiday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment