Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Lilies In All of Their Splendor


Whenever I look at my little girl I think about the legacy that I will leave for her. I think about her future and the things that she will remember. I think about the people that will influence her and the experiences that will define her. I think about our family both far and near and the women that grace our family tree.

I think about my Mom and the woman that she was and is. Her love for her family, her love for Daddy and her love fore me has always been truly agape. That kind of love that is fully unconditional and selfless. There was never a moment when I doubted her love for me. She disciplined out of love, she taught out of love and she mentored out of love. Some of the happiest moments in my life are experiences with this amazing woman. I cherish those memories as I establish my own life. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my Mom. I think about her with gratitude and a deep humility for the sacrifices she made raising me to be a woman after God's heart, a woman fit for a king. Knowing that my beautiful baby girl gets to call her "Grandma" and have a relationship with her is just another way that God's presence has been revealed in my life. My Mom is truly a special woman.

But there is another woman who has impacted the lives of all of us, my mom included, and that is my Grandma Fran. There are very few families today that have a matriarch as incredible and inspiring as Frances Terrell. The most amazing thing about this special lady is that she doesn't know just how powerful her life and her presence in our family is.

Her life has been defined by experiences both tragic and triumphant. She has spent her life in service to her husband and her children. When she married my Grandpa, they started a family heritage that has become indelibly rich with love and strong in character. My Grandma raised 4 kids, not all of them easy, while building a home and a life that we now call our "History." She was the epitome of grace and elegance. Don't be fooled though, my Grandma was a warrior too. She was a woman who fought all of her life to raise her kids right, a woman who fought for her marriage even when the going got rough, a woman who came out swinging when life gave her lemons. She could make some of the best lemonade you ever had! From the outside she was a beautiful and peaceful wife and mother, her domain was her home, but don't be fooled, she had a fierce strength that not many challenged and her character was unquestionable.

Life has a funny way of moving forward and Grandma's has. Her kids are all grown with kids of their own. Her husband has since gone to be with the Lord. She no longer has a house of her own and her body is slowly growing old. Funny thing though, is that her influence on our family is stronger now than ever before. It can be seen in every face, every look, every word and every hug given to each other. Grandma has given our family a foundation that has and will sustain us through the hurricanes of life. She may feel frail and broken, tired and old, but she stands as a pillar of strength, a lighthouse, for all of us. I know that she will read this and think little of herself, possibly even think me crazy, but that is the beautiful thing about her. She has always taken the humble road and has always put others ahead of herself.


My heart bursts with joy and unbelievable gratitude that the Lord has allowed my Grandma to see the 4th generation branch on her tree. Lily is already a fuller being just by knowing her. This Christmas Great Grandma Fran gave Lily the most amazing gift. She painted beautiful pink and white lilies on a lovely canvas. The inscription on the frame reads "See the Lilies. Solomon in his glory wasn't as beautiful" (Luke 12:27).


It is a priceless work of art and will hang on Lily's wall where she can always see it. Somehow Grandma fit her love and legacy into the painting and provided a tangible way to pour it into Lily's life. To have a Grandma who inspires is blessed, to have Grandma Fran in your life, Divine. We love you Gran Fran!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful tribute to both your mother and grandmother. You are richly blessed. And what a wonderful gift for Lily. To think that every time she looks at that beautiful picture, the love of three generations of strong women will pour down on her. I hope she gets to make many of her own memories with Grandma Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for amazing mothers, grandmothers and great grandmothers! I know mine have been an incredible blessing in my life. The picture is gorgeous! I had to click on it to get a closer look and it is truly breathtaking! What an amazing gift that will bless little Lily her entire life time!

    ReplyDelete