Sunday, November 13, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: RACE WEEK!: The Dream

ITS RACE WEEK!  It's here.  Years of waiting and training and dreaming and it all comes down to this week!


I can see it......
The finish line.....
Everything is tired, it's been such a long, long, LONG day....
I don't know why I am doing this and I have fought myself and my aching body for 13+ hours.

But

There it is. Right down the line.  Only a few more steps.....just a few more seconds.  The crowd gets louder, their cheers bringing me to the end.  I feel my tired body reenergized, "You did it!" I say to myself.  Allowing the reality of a dream come true overtake me I speed up, against the screaming in my legs.  I raise my arms in victory and cross that IRONMAN finish line. "Bethany Longmire, You are an IRONMAN," I hear.  A guttural cry escapes my lips and I fall into the arms of my family having done it.

A Dream Come True

This is the dream that started all of this a little over 2 years ago.  I first wrote these words in a blog from August of 2014 when I knew, without doubt, I was going to do an IRONMAN one day.  I had just borrowed my first of many IRONMAN books from the library "You are an IRONMAN" by Jacques Steinberg, and had devoured it.  I was so excited and inspired and motivated but was realizing how far away achieving that dream was.  I had a long way to go.

My journey truly began during this time and now I sit 7 days away from the race humbled, inspired and proud to say, "I made it!"  I took every step needed to get here.  I am ready.  I am going to finish an IRONMAN!



At the start of this journey, my IRONMAN sister Cassandra Mehan, told me, "Bethany, your journey is yours.  Nothing can prepare you for what's to come and how you will feel, no one can shape that but you. When you get to your day all that you have experienced in the months leading up to it will shape your entire race.  You become an IRONMAN in the journey, your race is simply a victory lap."



It's true and now that I am here, that dream above looks and sounds a little different.  I read that blog from August this morning and had this thought, "Boy Bethany, dramatic much?  You aren't going to suffer.  You may get tired and hurt a little, but THIS IS YOUR DAY!"

So I would like to rewrite that dream a little.

I can see it......
The finish line......
I'm tired, but I can't wipe the smile from my face. Its been such a long, exciting, empowering day....
I know EXACTLY why I am doing this and even though aching, I am going to do this in a little over 12 hours.

And

There it is.  Right down the line. This is my moment to soak up ever step and high five.  Here is my finish line I have fought to reach for over 2 years. Don't miss any of it.  I feel everything, but the crowd is cheering.  Allowing the reality of a dream come true overtake me, I speed up.  I raise my arms in victory and cross that IRONMAN finish line. "Bethany Longmire, You are an IRONMAN," I hear.  A victory cry escapes my lips and I leap into the arms of my coach and family having done it.

A Dream Come True

My week is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment