Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Day I Became an IRONMAN: The Bike

And just like that, I was at the bike portion of the race.  2 years ago, this section of the race was the most frightening, the most daunting and the most nerve-wracking part of the race for me.  2 years ago a 45-mile ride put me out for a week. 2 years ago I looked at the reality of riding 112 miles in the middle of a triathlon and cried.  I didn't know how I was going to do that.

But.....there I was...clipped in and aggressively pedaling up through the spectator-lined exit shoot, down the clunky ramp softening the blow from the sidewalk of Tempe Beach Park to the asphalt of Rio Salado.  There I was smiling like a fool because I was confident and cool.  I knew EXACTLY how I was going to conquer the miles in front of me.  I felt no fear, no worry, no anxiety.  I felt nothing but joy because somewhere between crying about what seemed impossible and tackling a 120-mile bike ride I became a cyclist!  I feel at home on Lady Dash.  We're friends.  She gets me and I get her.  We work well together and as I headed away from my family and friends and out onto the Beeline I just couldn't remove my smile.  I got this.



The biggest part of the bike ride for me was being completely conscious and competent when it came to my nutrition.  This is the place where countless athletes have really hurt their races because of misjudging nutritional needs.  IRONMAN is like a big chess game.  You gotta play all the pieces right.   You have to think of your nutrition like an IV line.  It's not a big burst or an intermittent drip.  It's a steady consistent stream.  Food, water, electrolytes, water, food, water, electrolytes, water. Biggest tip, "If you are hungry you are already behind." Every 20 minutes my watch would jingle telling me it was time to fuel.


My nutrition strategy was simple. Power Bars, Tailwind liquid nutrition, and white potatoes with salt.  At least 1 electrolyte salt stick every hour and a minimum 16-24 oz of water every hour.  As I pulled away from Tempe Beach I let my excitement settle and my Heart Rate get out of the "energy drink" zone then quickly got on my nutrition schedule.    

My coach had given me a strategy based upon my Heart Rate and so I worked hard to follow her plan.  The Problem?  I just felt so great.  My race wheels made Lady Dash lighter and faster which easily translated to more speed for less work.  Here's another tip:  Train heavy, race light.  I trained on old wheels that have seen much better days.  They were heavy and had a smaller cassette (translation: my legs had to work hard while training).  I intentionally did that because once my race wheels were on I became literally unstoppable. I knew I had to get control of my HR so I had to make myself slow down.  It was hard, but I know it is what made me great on the bike.


Numerous athletes complained about the wind on the Beeline.  I never felt it.  I powered up the Beeline passing cyclist after cyclist and cruised home on the first lap feeling like a powerhouse.  Oh Bethany.......You have got this!  I came around the turnaround and passed the RACELAB tent with all of my family giving them a huge smile and a big number 1.  "That's One!" I shouted. Time to kick it up a notch.



I was feeling so good and as I powered back out on the course I re talked myself through all of my nutrition plans and did a little self-evaluation to feel where I was.  I had already stopped 2 times to use the bathroom (didn't want to pee all over myself for a few extra minutes) and realized that I was slightly overhydrated and running the risk of diluting my system too much.  So I backed off a little on the water, added a couple extra salt sticks, ate some potatoes and drank some Tailwind then settled in for the long upwards stretch on the Beeline.  Lap 2 found a lot of cyclists slowing and I literally leapfrogged my way up the course.  I cannot tell you how many fancy bikes I passed and could only stop and silently thank my coach for teaching me that you can have all the fancy gear in the world, but if you don't train hard it won't matter.  My training truly paid off as I put cyclist after cyclist behind me on the hill.

I came back to Tempe Beach Park and flashed my Number 2 and a big ole smile as I flew past my family and friends.  Their cheers were like an additional injection of jet fuel and I headed out on lap 3 with renewed energy.  I SO GOT THIS!  You and me Lady Dash.....let's finish it!



About a third of the way into the third loop I started feeling some minor stomach cramps.  Uh oh!  Okay, slow down and evaluate.  Where are you  on nutrition?  I'm good.  Where are you on water? Good there too.  What about salt sticks? Well....I took one an hour ago, maybe I need more.  It was the right answer.  Another tip:  Many times when you experience cramps in any part of your body during a race, it's a sign of electrolyte depletion and not a food problem.  Check.  2 Salt sticks went in and within 20 minutes the cramps were gone and I was once again flying up past cyclist after cyclist.  I made the turn at the top and headed home.  I couldn't believe it.....the miles had FLOWN by.  There I was at mile 95 barely working hard and going, "Holy crap!  I am headed back to run now!"

I cranked my gears up, plastered my permanent smile back on and confidently owned the Beeline home.  It was incredible that final 18 miles.  It was empowering and mesmerizing.  I had to remind myself..."Bethany.....you gotta get prepared to run now!"  So I settled in, stopped all chewable nutrition and went to strictly liquid.  10 miles from the Park I ate a GU Gel and mentally started gearing up to run a marathon.


I flew into the park practically squealing with excitement.  Lady Dash and I had owned the course.  I knew we had when I paused my Garmin and saw that we had done it in 5:44.  Had you asked me 2 days before the race I would have told you that my goal was 6:15.  Imagine my surprise when I saw what we had done.  AHHHHHH!!!!!!!  I carefully handed my bike to a volunteer and said "Please take care of her....she did good!"  and ran off to claim my gear bag.

I was on cloud 9 and while my legs were feeling a little like sea legs, they were nothing but strong.  I had run right off the bike a hundred times.  I knew what it felt like and as I pulled into transition all I could think of was, I never in my wildest dreams thought I would feel this good!  I'm ready to run a marathon!!!

I sat down on a chair in transition and a sweet volunteer took my shoes and socks off, adorned my feet with fresh socks and my purple Altra Shoes.  I clipped on my number, threw on my hat, grabbed my bottle and raced out of transition in under 2:15. I  headed to the arch that read "RUN START," looked at a volunteer, flashed him my ridiculous smile and said assuredly, "It's a GOOD day!"...........

No comments:

Post a Comment