Thursday, November 17, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: Gumption

I woke up super early this morning.  Nerves are starting to kick in.  I am extra grateful that I have a short brick workout to do today because movement is the only thing that will help at this point!  Speaking of workout, THIS IS IT.  This brick workout this morning is the final workout before IRONMAN.  For months I have had miles and miles and miles of training left.  Well.......I did it all.

40 minutes on the bike and a 3-mile run is all I have left to do.  It's here and it's exciting!

Bob has been traveling quite a bit so I have not been able to really get into the spirit of IRONMAN race weekend until last night when I attended a Pro Meet and Greet with the amazing and uber successful Meredith Kessler.  I have never met a pro triathlete before and I must say, I was really excited.  Meredith has raced 59 IRONMAN races to date and is set to race IRONMAN Tempe this Sunday.  She has won several of her races, has raced in Kona multiple times and is back this year to attempt to keep her title on the banks of Tempe.  Last year when I volunteered, I remember watching her power through the aid stations.  She was amazing and handily won the women's race last year.  I was amazed by her.  And now, 1 year later, I am standing by her, ready to take on my first ever IRONMAN.  It's cool.  REALLY COOL!


When I met her last night, her first question to me was, "what are you most nervous or excited about? the swim, the bike or the run?"  I thought for a second and answered honestly, "I am just so excited to do this! I am trained.  I did everything I was asked to do.  I got this!"  She broke out in this huge smile and said simply, "YES YOU DO! Your smile tells me you are ready."  We chatted for a few more minutes about her experiences and advice she has for the course.  She is so accomplished and yet so reachable, approachable and kind.  She is a powerhouse, but a gracious one.  A true role model in the industry.  She has also written an incredible book that I cannot wait to devour!



Meredith has centered much of her success around one word, Gumption.  That's not a word you hear a lot when it comes to IRONMAN.  I love what she says about gumption:


My favorite part of that quote is,  "Its GRIT, It's FIGHT, It's RISING above.  It's STRONG.  GUMPTION is about being able to set sail to find that raw, subtle, sweet spot of taking even a little bit of pain without suffering--this is where the magic happens in life."

I stood in the presence of greatness last night and left completely empowered to go out there and.....

GIVE IT SOME GUMPTION!

No comments:

Post a Comment