Sunday, November 6, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: 2 Weeks: The Run

The IRONMAN marathon is harder than any marathon you could do.  Most marathons 
start great and turn ugly around Mile 20. The IRONMAN marathon starts ugly.

I love this quote.  It makes me laugh out loud and now that I am completely trained for this race I laugh even harder.  

I am a runner.  The thing that started this entire IRONMAN dream was a marathon.  I have done 8 and LOVE them.  I love distance running.  I just love running.  So I have always had the mindset of........"no matter what.....I can run."  

But now I am here.  No longer a solo sport athlete.  I am a triathlete, which translates to "Good at 3 sports."  


My running has changed.  It had to because I had to learn to be strong in many different ways.  Each sport has had to lend itself to the other and I am no longer just a runner running a marathon.  Now its an IRONMAN Marathon.  It is the 3rd leg of a very, very, very long day.  It's different.

It's harder.  

Yes,  I am very ready to run my IRONMAN marathon, but I am also not a fool.  Its gonna be challenging, and its also gonna be glorious.



Oh how excited I will be to get off Lady Dash and head to the transition tent for my running shoes.  There is something about getting to the run that just makes me smile.  That will be my victory lap that will be the final sport leading me to the finish line.


My biggest concern as I exit my bike and transition to the run is the state of my stomach.  Nutrition is so VERY critical and no matter how much training and distance I have on my legs, nutrition will be the true piece of the running puzzle.  I have a plan in place and will be focused on executing it during the bike ride.

The run is a 2 loop course that has a few out and backs.  Too many, this would seem like a nightmare, but it is heaven because of the spectators.  At that point in the race the support of people is what makes it an incredible experience.  While the bike ride is long and fairly lonely, the run will be packed with people cheering and surrounding us as athletes.  I cannot wait!  My parents will be there, my in laws will be there, my friends, my tri club and my community will be out in full force.  I am just so excited for the marathon.  My strategy for the run is to start chill, settle into the run and just soak up every second....no matter what.  There will be pain and fatigue but my goal is to smile through it all for when I finish the race I will be an IRONMAN.


No comments:

Post a Comment