Saturday, November 26, 2016

The Day I Became an IRONMAN: The Lead Up

Yep.....I'm just getting started and contrary to what many people do, my race report is going to come in many, many parts.  I've gotta keep all the feels going for a really long time.  So, gear up, hang in there and I promise I will get you to the finish line of that amazing day.

The Expo for an IRONMAN is such a different experience than an Expo for a marathon.  First off, it lasts for nearly a week and is chalk full of every kind of vendor for all 3 sports.  It is amazing and honestly........a little overwhelming.  We decided to tackle the least busy day for check in together as a family and I am so glad it all worked out so well.  The check in process is long and involved and requires several waivers, a timing chip, a swim cap, a page of stickers, 5 gear bags and a bunch of swag.  I was so excited that my smile literally couldn't come off my face.  Everyone noticed it.  How could I not?  I was checking in for IRONMAN.


Bob and the girls made signs (that sign on the ground?  I saw it on the run :)


The next day we went back down to the Expo to be sure the girls were checked in and ready for their IRONKIDS run.  They were so excited.  We also stopped by the Ventum booth and let the whole family meet Meredith Kessler (who won BTW).  It was a great morning.


Later that evening Dawn came over and helped me pack up all of my gear bags and walk me through a checklist of things that I might need!  What a godsend.  Her help took all of the anxiety away and I was able to just enjoy the anticipation of the coming race.  While we were working my sweet friends Bridgit and Bev and a bunch of kiddos (Thanks Katie White for sending Kennedy!) came over and decorated my front yard with confetti, signs and toilet paper!  They completely surprised me and it was perfect!


The day before the race came before I knew it and with Grandma Jill and Grandpa Steve in tow we headed down to the Expo for the IRONKIDS Race, Bike Drop off, a practice swim and the final gear bag drops.  I was so excited and so antsy.  




While the kids were doing their run, I had to do all of my final stuff.  I decided to jump in the water for a practice swim.  The water was going to be chilly and I decided to wear my sleeveless wetsuit.  The cold water can take your breath away so I wanted to be prepared for what race morning would be like.  The water was so refreshing and I finished a smooth 1000 yards feeling fired up and ready to race.


The girls had a blast doing their fun run.  Lily ran the full mile run and Evie took on the 1/2 mile.  




They did their stretches before hand and both had smiles on their faces as they raced across the finish line.  Lily was especially happy because the medal for race was an actual medal and not a plastic one.  


Little Miss Evie was extra excited.  This was her first race and she was nervous about being able to finish it.  She ran the whole time and finished feeling so very proud.  



Bob and I sent the girls home with Gma and Gpa and hung at the expo a bit longer.    It was great to take it all in and catch up with some awesome friends and fellow athletes.



I finished my morning connecting with the Racelab crew and getting some final instructions and encouragement for the day ahead.  Bob took advantage of his "spectator" status and indulged in White Chocolate covered cheesecake.  He loved it.



When we were done with all of the meetings, drop offs and check ins, I was ready to get home and get off my feet.  The lead up was fun, but I was ready to race!

No comments:

Post a Comment