Monday, August 25, 2014

Journey to IRONMAN: The Dream

I can see it......
The finish line......
Everything hurts, its been such a long, long, LONG day.....
I don't know why I'm doing this and I have fought myself and my aching body for 13+ hours....

But

There it is.  Right down the line.  Only a few more steps...... just a few more seconds.  The crowd gets louder, their cheers bringing me to the end.  I feel my tired body reenergized, "You did it" I say to myself.  Allowing the reality of a dream come true overtake me, I speed up, against the screaming in my legs.  I raise my arms in victory and cross that IRONMAN finish line.  "Bethany Longmire, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!"  I hear.  A guttural victory cry escapes my lips and I fall into the arms of my family having done it.  

A Dream Come True.


I relive this vision practically every day.  I can see myself doing it.  I will be IRONMAN.  But, its gonna take a lot of work.  A LOT OF WORK.  The victory will be so sweet, but the journey is going to take a level of commitment and dedication that I am just beginning to understand.  It's big.

I rode 45 miles the other day and was exhausted.  The idea of having to ride 112 followed by a marathon and superseded by a 2.4 mile swim is simply hard to grasp.  How?  How am I going to get there?

One lap at a time.


One pedal stroke at a time.


One step at a time.


One race at a time.  Now that I have accomplished the Sprint Distance Tri, its now time to go bigger.  It's time for a Half IRONMAN.  This week, I did it, I registered for my Half IRONMAN.  Boulder IRONMAN 70.3 next June will be the halfway mark to the biggest endurance test of my life.


My journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment