Monday, January 7, 2013

Thats Mine!

Oh the dreaded phrase that I have waited for has come to stay in a BIG way.  I don't know what happened, but this Christmas season Lily has started saying this little gem of a phrase constantly.   Bob and I have had to revisit our parenting style with this new little discipline issue that has reared its little head.  Everything is hers, even if it is not.  She grabs, pulls, pushes and even yells for everything she deems is “hers,” which is everything.  It has been very challenging and has resulted in several spankings and several moments in the corner or in her crib.


What is so ultimately precious about this time is that she is still cute as a button.  It is amazing how the moments of pure selfish terror are intermixed with this adorable little girl who says her pleases and thank you's with little to no prompting.  I guess that is the Lord's way of making it clear that we are doing something right.  

I have been reminded of one very special thing over the past couple of weeks.  How gracious our Lord is.  I think about how many times I have said with certainty, “No Lord, that's mine!” and how beautifully He reminds me its not.  Only He does it without being frustrated.  That will be my new goal.

2 comments:

  1. I love all your recent posts! I read them all while waiting for my blood to be drawn after my glucose test. : ) Lily is growing up so fast and I'm so glad you were able to spend some time with family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I taught at an alternative high school, we had a list similar to this posted in the nursery & toddler rooms!

    1. If I like it, it's mine.
    2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
    3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
    4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
    5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
    6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
    7. If it looks just like mine, it is mine.
    8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
    9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
    10. If it's broken, it's yours.
    11. If it's broken, but you are having fun playing with the pieces, it's mine again.
    12. If there is ANY doubt, it's mine.

    A blogger I saw added these extras:

    12. If you look like you kinda might want to play with it maybe, it's mine.

    13. If I can scream louder than you, it's mine.

    14. If I had something and you took it, EVERYTHING you have is mine.

    See how normal Lily is? Would you really want it any other way?

    ReplyDelete