Tuesday, April 13, 2021

The day I ran a 50k

Its 5 days after and my feet, legs, and toes are still letting me know that we rant a 50K.  Guys, that kind of distance is just stupid.  I mean, huge kuddos to people who can run this kind of distance over and over again.  I am not one of them, and honestly, I can now say confidently that I don't want to be one either.  


Honestly doing a 50k isn't critical for the trip across the canyon, but I knew I needed to do it for my own mental strength.  You know, if you can go 31 miles you can go 45.  Sounds crazy, but like I said above, the difference between those mileages are really minimal.  It hurts but you just move forward relentlessly.  Always moving forward.



I planned the route for us and met the crew at 4 am for a bright and early start.  I am so grateful that Bridgit knows the area because she took over the pacing for all of us and I just gave her the turns.  I don't love to lead everyone.  Turns out I don't like the pressure.





Our first 22 miles were spent on the Hawes trail system and we had a great time combing the trails and climbing up Guidro.  The trails are truly amazing.

When we got back to our cars I knew the hardest part of the day was going to be leaving the car for the last 10 miles around Pass Mountain.  We lost 2 of our runners (they had other committments), so Katie, Jill, and I pressed on alone.


My hips and foot arches were just toast so I let the ladies run ahead and I just put my audiobook on and kept on trucking.


Bob met up with me for the final 4 miles or so.  My everything hurt, BUT my mind was so strong.  Its really hard to be strong mentally and have a body that just isn't happy.

I finished 8.5 hours after starting and felt equally incredible, strong, and hurting.  Its a fun mix of feelings.



I am ready for this 45 mile adventure.  I believe I can and I am looking forward to this life changing experience.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment