Tuesday, April 27, 2021

R2R2R: The Adventure Begins!

6 months ago we were trick or treating with Bridgit, Joe, and their whole family.  We had a few drinks, Bridgit had just come off of completing her second R2R2R and she turns to me and says, "Bethany, we should do R2R2R together next year......what do you think?"  With very little pause I said "YES!"

Now, I decided several years ago that ultra marathoning was not something I wanted to do.  It still isn't, but running R2R2R was the one thing I knew I would say yes to.  After my foot injury, the thought of completing such a big feat seemed darn near impossible, but it was out there and man I have really wanted to check that box.  When Bridgit asked me, I knew I needed to say yes even though at the time I was not really sure how I was going to get myself from half marathon trained to 50 mile trained.  It was a big leap and honestly guys, I doubted the reality of actually getting to the rim ready to complete R2R2R, but I looked at Bob, he smiled at me, and we said yes and we started dreaming and training.


It was challenging and hard to get to this weekend, but we did it.  Not only was I able to figure out how to train, but I accomplished a 50k and built more mental callouses and grit.  Apparently I ultra marathon now too.

Last week the lead up was so exciting.  Getting to the weekend and knowing that we were about to tackle something so big and grand and exciting was all of the feelings.  I am so deeply grateful for the hats that Heidi Garner made for us.  Knowing that I had that hat helped me do the thing and finish what I started.


Planning for food, supplements, and support for a day in the Canyon took a lot of thought and multiple checklists.  You need to eat a minimum of 100-200 calories per hour and we could be out there 15-20 hours.  We needed water purification tablets in the event water pipes burst in the canyon, we needed headlamps, and cold weather attire.  You have to check and re check and then check again.  Once you're in the canyon......you are in it.


Our group was an awesome group.  Bob, Me, Jill Hanson, Bridgit Egosque, Katie White, Joe Egosque, Rafi Islam, Stephen, Karl Algren, Jean and Lee, Chelsie Thomas, and Matt Gessel.  I know without question that it was this amazing group of people that helped this entire endeavor seem possible.





Our car got to the Canyon earlier in the day last Friday and I am so glad we did.  We were able to check into our lodge, run through the mental reality of being on the second floor, and then find our way to the rim.  Just to breathe it in and dream about the work to come.








The Canyon is so big.  It truly is so grand.  There is no picture on earth that can convey what you see when you are standing at its edge.  Its humbling, exciting, and very intimidating.




The trip to the North Rim is through that slot canyon right in the middle of this photo below.  Guys, its SO big.  





 We spent the evening sitting, resting, eating, packing for the day ahead of us, and making plans.  The group decided to go down and up Bright Angel because our hotel was so close.  I look forward to going down South Kaibab sometime, but I am deeply grateful that we went down and up the same trail.   We finally got into bed around 10 for the very short night (and very little sleep) for the day ahead.  
It was finally time and Bob and I were not throwing away our shot!  

Time to see what we are made of!

No comments:

Post a Comment