Monday, December 10, 2018

If you love Me, Feed the Hungry.


I have waited for the day when we as a family could begin to volunteer on a regular basis.  I think it is so important for our kids and us to be reminded of our blessings.....our privilege.  As a family that is seeking to be the Kingdom on earth, I simply couldn't wait till we could start giving back.  Well this year it started and our first volunteer chance was with Feed My Starving Children.


I love this organization, and as someone who understands first hand how critical nutrition is, starvation is a biggie with me.  Nobody should to hungry, especially a child.  


The girls were amazing and participated in every part of the evening.  Lily dumped food into bags, and Evie helped seal the bags and box the bags. Lily was really hit with the reality that what she was dumping into the bag was all these children get to eat.  No Mac n Cheese, no Pizza, no snacks.  Food is precious and she got a glimpse into how rich she is.



I was most impacted by the stories of mothers who are so poor and without resources for food that they take dirt from the ground, mix it with water, oil, and salt, bake it, and feed it to their starving children.  It literally has no nutritional value, but it fills their stomachs so they stop crying. Can you imagine? Literally feeding your child dirt knowing they are dying, but wanting them to stop crying? I nearly gave all my money guys. No mother should ever have to do that.


Our time was wonderful enjoyable and such a special time of giving back and sharing in the joy of generosity. Plus, the girls got to see in real time numbers how much their time impacted lives.  In one night we all packaged over 61,000 meals! 


I am hoping 2019 brings with it many more opportunities to give our time and resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment