Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Greenland Trail Races

Another race has come and gone and this one was one for the record books.  A girlfriend of mine approached me several months ago about tackling the 25k distance and without hesitation I signed up to do it.  I've never done a trail race on an actual single lane trail so other than "its gonna be more challenging,"  I didn't know what else to expect or really what else to train for.  Sadly my friend was unable to run with me, but lucky for me, I have a husband who was ballsy enough to want to try and tackle the 50k distance.  Now I know, I know, we live in America, so if your brain is working on overtime trying to do the math on those distances its 15.6 and 30.3 miles respectively.  Yeah, no
laughing matter!


We were blessed to have Grandpa Bob visiting for the weekend which worked out perfectly for our childcare needs.




 We were up and out the door bright and early last Saturday and we headed out to Larkspur, CO which sits right at the base of Pikes Peak.  The Greenland Open Space was beautiful and the weather perfect for running.  Grandpa Bob was such a sport to take on our girls for my race.  He may have been a bit apprehensive, but he tackled the 3 hours all on his own with ease.  Bob began his trek at 7AM and I hit the trail at 7:30.




The first 3.5 miles were a gradual uphill.  At 3.5 the trail turned and went straight up more hill as far as the eye could see.  Very quickly I realized that this race was going to be a true test of endurance.  My realization proved true as we continued to go up, and up, and up.  We would get a slight downhill reprieve only to go up again.  To sum up the entire run you were either running uphill or downhill.  No flat.  Oh and did I mention that there was very little shade?  Sun, hills and uneven trails.  Man was it challenging.



The other aspect of the race was that it was done in loops.  The 25k did 2 and the 50k did 4.  I personally am not a fan of having to do what I did again.  Thankfully the scenery was so beautiful and my determination to finish well drove me on.  I am SO very thankful that I run hills...with a jogger.  I felt so strong the entire 16 miles.


I did discover one of my new running pet peeves.  Runners who walk uphill to run downhill.  So annoying.  I passed runner after runner on the uphill because lets face it, downhills are the victory for running to the top.....not walking.  Even though I passed all of those people on the uphill, they would blow past me running their little hearts out and stomping on down the downhills.  No no no.  You either walk the ups and downs or run them.  So all of this to say, if you run with me......we run the hills.  THE END.

I finished with pride and felt such a sense of accomplishment.  Bob finished, but his race was rough and hot and miserable.  As he was hovered over the kid pool completely exhausted I told him that he should have just done the 25k, it was perfect distance and awesome.  He humbly told me, "This has proven to me that I in fact make poor decisions and you, Babe, are the smart one of the family!"  Well maybe, but what an accomplishment!



Grandpa Bob did awesome with the girls and loved every  minute playing with them.  The race was a perfect training run for my upcoming Marathon and I love how strong it made me feel.  Bring on the distance.....I'm READY!

No comments:

Post a Comment