Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Colfax Marathon Makes #4

So I decided to tackle my 4th marathon about 5 months ago.  I really wanted to do it before baby #2 turned 1 and the Colfax Marathon happened to be the perfect timing.  Both Bob and I were gonna do it and he had to go out of town so I approached this big event flying solo.  I am SO thankful for Memaw and Papa.  They were amazing and  helped me every step of the way.


Last Sunday I woke up bright and early at about 4AM.  I got my gear on. left my girls in the capable hands of Memaw (Thanks Mom for having a sleep over!) and drove myself on down to the Start Line.  Bob and I are a part of this awesome running club and two of our buddies live about 1 minute from the start line.  I am so thankful because I was able to park knowing my car would be safe and not towed!



The weather was PERFECT for the run.  A bit on the chilly side for the start, but thats just how you want it.  I am always amazed at how many runners come out to run the marathon.  There were about 10 corrals packed with runners.  I felt really proud to be amongst the masses.  

The fastest I have ever run a marathon was in 4:44.  I was determined to 1. Run the entire way, no stopping and 2. Beat the 4:30 time pacer group.  I knew it was doable I was just gonna have to go and do my thing.  

Race number, check, hat, check, water, check....and we are off!

The race was a BLAST.  I decided to try to take as many pictures as I could.  It was wonderful to feel like I had an entire Insta Family and Facebook family running with me.  I was NOT alone.  


There were so many milestones and fun things to see on this run.  The first thing we did around mile 3 was to run through the Denver Fire Station #1 right near the Capital.  It was so cool to actually run through the building and all of the fire fighters came out to give us some high fives.



Mile 6 brought us to the Mile High Stadium.  Now I am not a die hard football fan, but man was this part cool.  We went right down through the stadium and onto the field.  Now every time I see a football game on TV I will be able to say "I've run that field!"  Go Broncos!

We got back on Colfax Avenue and ran a few more miles up to Sloans Lake.  This stretch was great, but a little mentally challenging because while it was mile 6, 7, and 8, it was also 18, 19 and 20.  Knowing I had several miles to go before I came back by there was a bit challenging, but I just tucked my head and ran on.



Sloans Lake was beautiful and a perfect little 2 miles.  The water, the mountains, the sunshine......ah, running perfection.  Unfortunately, I started feeling that hot rubbing sensation on both of my big toes.  I prayed over them and just ran on (so glad I didn't stop to look, blisters were starting).


There are a few big milestones on the long 26 mile journey.  Hitting the 2 digit mile stone is one of them and the halfway point below is another.  At half marathon distance I was still way ahead of the 4:30 pacers and so proud of myself.  I could do it.  Just had to keep running.


After a lovely neighborhood run, we ended up back on Colfax around mile 16.  10 more to go.  As you can see, I was pumped!


The desert between mile 18 and mile 22 is long and tough.  Hitting that mile 20 is something special.  There is this reality that "I've almost done it!  There are 2's in the miles now.  The finish is coming!


I will admit, I was hurting at mile 20.  It happens.  Everything in your body says, "Um...please stop."  And of course I didn't.  I find that it was easiest to just tackle one mile at a time.  5 miles felt like forever, but 1 mile was doable.  

Mile 25 brings with it EMPOWERMENT.  That is the best way to describe it.  Crossing that marker is the notice that you are on your victory lap.  Oh it is amazing.  Every runner should experience it at least once in their running lifetime!


I crossed the finish line at a nice 4:28.  Shaved almost 20 minutes off of my best time and aside from a few aches and pains and 2 enormous blisters felt great!  There is really nothing like that feeling of accomplishing something so big.  Man I love running, I love the crowds, the commraderie, the races and.....


The BLING!


The Colfax Marathon was one for the books and a true moment of pride for this Momma of 2.  

4 Marathons is Big, but I'm not stopping there.  Number 5 will be the Las Vegas Marathon with my buddy Sarah.   Just gonna keep adding to the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment