Friday, May 30, 2014

The Butterfield's

Every person has it.  That place from their childhood that just brings back wonderful memories. One of those that comes to mind whenever you are asked to recall stories from your childhood.  The Butterfield's Ranch is that for me.  I grew up on their property.  Between horse rides, picnics, camping and hiking, I remember being there all of the time.  The Foxton Stables will always have a special place in my heart. 

I haven't been back to the ranch since having kiddos and over Memorial Day we decided to take a short day trip over the hill to introduce Lily, Evie and Bob to the place I adore.  Lily wasn't there 5 minutes before she was climbing on the first available rock.  She is so excited to do this rock climbing thing.  



We got to briefly reconnect with the rancher and his wife.  Tom and Barb Butterfield are simply amazing people.  Tom has worked the ranch his whole life.  He is now almost completely blind, and yet looks much like I remember him.  This couple really has a big place in my childhood.  They are some of the best people you could know.


The Foxton Stallions are always the first horses in the corrals next to the farmhouse.  The layout hasn't changed a bit, just gotten a little older and all of those old stallions I knew have gone on to horsey heaven.  Lily was only to quick to meet the big guys and as you can see, she is just a little mirror image of her Memaw.  I saw reflections of my own self in these pictures.  I think somewhere in the scrapbooks I have some similar pictures.




Evie was beyond frustrated that she had to be in the backpack.  She so desperately wants to be out and on her own.  She looked so cute though snuggled up tight.  We walked down the road to the place where they keep their babies.  Most years the Butterfields have 5-8 babies, but given the times and the expense, this year they only have 1, a silver filly named Serenade.





My mom the horse whisperer and her little protege, Lily Grace.  Serenade was all baby and somewhat unsure about these humans who entered her space.  She was willing to come close when Mom was low.  Lily got along great with Serenade.  I think its because Lily was little, just like her.





After meeting the baby, we all headed over to slide rock for a picnic. I spent a part of every one of my childhood summers playing on slide rock.  Countless church picnics and summer days were spent playing in the water and trying not to slip on the infamous slippery rock face.  Its still the same, although somehow smaller than my recollecting.  Lily was only too excited to get naked and get in.  The water was so cold, but didn't stop either one of my children.  It made me happy to see them playing where I once did, before they were even a thought.  There is a nice sense of symmetry in that and made me very joyful.  








Our afternoon was wonderfully nostalgic and just plain fun.  As I was posting these pictures I was only too happy to see our WHOLE family enjoying the time.  I am blessed beyond blessed to have the time with 
Bob and grateful for the Lord's provision on that front.  While this time of not knowing whats next is hard it is also beautiful.  I'm grateful for more memories made at the Butterield's Ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment