Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Why Not?

It has been just plain cold again here in the Rocky Mountain State.  Its typical Spring weather, but after putting my fleece away for a while, I have had to pull it out again this past week.  My has it been chilly....and windy.  Spring Fever is running rampant in our house!

This past Sunday all of my family got together to celebrate my Mom's birthday at our house.  Bob and Derek were taking care of a fallen tree in our yard and Mykennah, Kennleigh and Lily were playing outside.  It wasn't above about 45 degrees, but they were content to be in and out even with cold fingers and toes.  I was coming out of my bedroom when I heard all three of the girls storm inside and Lily, running right up to me, says excitedly, "Mommy, can we run through the splinklers?"  Thinking I misunderstood her request I replied, "You wanna do what?" and she repeated, "Mommy the splinklers!  Can we run through the splinklers in the backyard?"  Really?  "But its cold outside Lily. You will freeze!!"  She went on to tell me that they wouldn't freeze and that they really, REALLY wanted to run through the sprinklers.

Every rational, adult bone in my body began to conjure up all solid reason why running through the sprinklers was a silly idea.  Its too cold, its too late in the afternoon, they will get sick, they could slip and fall, it will make a mess....and so on.  Why in the world would I allow my child and her cousins to run through the sprinklers when it was 45 degrees out?  The answer...

WHY NOT?





I have some of the greatest memories of swimming in our pond at home when it was 60 degrees outside.  Mom let us freeze and we did, BUT, we also had a blast.

We got the girls in their suits and sent them out to play.  What a sweet and special memory.  Look at their smiles.  Look at the delight on Lily's face.  



They played in the water, sprayed the hose, doused their hair and shivered the entire time.  I'm glad I didn't miss the moment to let these three best buds be kids.  Childhood only lasts so long.


No comments:

Post a Comment