Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Story of our House

I know all of you anxious readers are waiting for pictures of our move, new home and of course the ever precious Lily Grace, so here is one picture for now.


Don't fret though, more will come. I have many blogs in my head to share over the next week, however, I had to share the story of what lead us to our new home mostly because it shows, once again how faithful the Lord is to provide. So, hang in there with me and enjoy the stories as I take you from our apartment to our new home.

About three months ago, Bob and I were really considering renting a house. Unfortunately, in Cary, the prices for real estate rentals and purchases are steep. So we prayed about it and the Lord “suggested” the idea of communal living. Grace and Sebron were patiently waiting for the Lord to provide affordable housing too so we started to consider the possibility of renting together. The thought of having two families with babies living under one roof was initially kind of a hairbrained idea, but once we all slept on it, prayed on it and actually let ourselves consider the pros and cons, we liked the idea more and more. So we started to look.

We finally settled on this perfect split level home. I called it the Sturdivant house. It had everything we were looking for and was close to Bob's work. We turned in our application and started to get excited only to discover 3 days later that the house had been rented. Well, okay, so we looked again. Nothing came close to the Sturdivant layout so we started to get a little nervous. 2 weeks later the Sturdivant agent called me with good news. The current tenant decided she didn't want to stay there and that the house would be available July 15th! Praise the Lord! We signed the lease, gave the security deposit and anxiously awaited our move in date.

Now I want to take a break here and say how interesting it is that when you seek to trust the Lord and commit to honoring Him how life has a funny way of giving you situations to test that resolve.

July 2nd rolls around and I get a frantic call from the Sturdivant agent notifying me that the current tenant has changed her mind and no longer wants to move out. Um, sorry, we have two families without homes at the end of the month, the lease is signed and you have a huge chunk of our savings sitting in your bank, we would love to help, but we have no other options. So I tell her that we can push our move in date back a week, but that is about the best we can do. She hangs up and I get that sinking feeling. In retrospect I believe that it was the Holy Spirit preparing my heart for what would come the next morning.

July 3rd I wake up to a long email that basically says the following. Tenant is refusing to move, she never signed a written move out notice so I can't force her out, we understand you signed the lease but we never executed it so we are just going to give you your money back and good luck finding a house. Now I am not a swearing person, but let me tell you, several 4 letter words worked themselves through my mind. You have got to be kidding!!!!! Nope, the Sturdivant agent had rented us a house based on a verbal move out agreement and then never executed our lease but took our money straight to her bank. Yep, I do NOT miss the real estate profession. So, with the help of Bob, we started a desperate search.

July 4th we found a house on Craigslist to look at. All of us are wondering if this is really supposed to be happening. I remember praying, “Lord, we feel so good about living together and renting a home, why is this becoming so stressful and complicated?” That afternoon we saw the Abbott Lane home and were instantly assured that, yes, we were headed on the right track. The home is very similar to the Sturdivant house and cheaper! Plus the landlord installed new floors and they have been above board in all of their dealings. So application in, lease signed (and executed), security deposit in and move scheduled. We may have had to go through some uncertain times, but the Lord has proven once again that He is faithful and will provide for His Children!

We have a home, now for moving.......

No comments:

Post a Comment