Monday, July 4, 2011

Red, White and Bleh........


Last Thursday I remember looking forward to the coming holiday weekend with such great anticipation. For those of you who know me, I am a planner and I had the greatest weekend in store for our Little family. The anticipation of having Bob at home for three whole days just made it that more exciting. On Saturday we were going to get up and go for a smooth 10 mile run (no joke, I had it all mapped out) then of course head to our favorite Coffee and Crepes. Following that morning was going to be an easy afternoon including napping with the baby, swimming after nap time and then Transformers 3 at night. Sunday was going to consist of a morning at church followed by a yoga class at the gym, more napping, watching Netflix and an early bed time. July 4th was going to start with a bang by running around our favorite Lake Johnson with our good friends Grace and Sebron followed by an afternoon doing something patriotic maybe even finishing the weekend by going out to dinner. It was going to be grand.

Then I got sick.

Not just sniffle sniffle, headache, but full fledged fever, headache, throat so painful that I cried everytime I swallowed, no voice and wanting nothing more than to sit on my butt and eat carbohydrates. FANTASTIC!

We didn't leave the house Friday, Saturday or Sunday except to go to the store to get chicken soup fixins' and more crackers. Actually, I take that back, on Saturday we went to a movie because I was so tired of sitting in the house I just had to get out. We saw Transformers 3 and it was a wonderful 3 hour break from my misery. In addition to feeling yucky, we had a bomb dropped on us regarding our house that we are supposed to be moving into in 13 days. Long story short we have had to spend the last 24 hours finding a new house to live in. I will tell the whole story later. So, all in all, not how I had planned my weekend to go.

Finally Monday arrived and I woke up feeling, dare I say it, sorta better? Whether or not I was better, I was going to do something other than sit indoors on Lily's first fourth of July. Grandma Feddy bought Lily this precious little red, white and blue sailor dress and we just had to show her off. Bob took Lily and I to Mimi's Cafe for breakfast and we stopped for some photos on the way.




Lily was being such a great sport until we put her on the grass. She hated the grass! Don't know that I blame her all things considered. Its prickly and pointy and scratchy. She arched her back with all of her might to keep her arms and face out of the grass. It was so cute to watch her desperation. Am I a bad mom?





Mimi's Cafe was excellent and Lily was the hit of the place. She sat in the little high chair and played with everything she could get her hands on. She really enjoyed sharing my muffin with me.





My outing to breakfast was so exhausting that I came home and slept for 2 hours. Once we were all rested, we headed down to the State Capital for their Fourth of July afternoon. They had vendors and demonstrations, a miniature pony and cart as well as birds from a wildlife conservatory. Isn't this little mini owl the cutest?


If I was a bird person I would have taken him right home with me.

There were also several men dressed in Civil War and Revolutionary War garb. They were doing rifle and army demonstrations. Here was one of the soldiers calling in reinforcements.


Huh, I had no idea the 1700s were so advanced!

We met Grace and Sebron at the event and toured the Capital together. Sebron is a history buff and we were all fascinated with the old building. They actually had the original secession letter that was unanimously signed by all of the North Carolina Senate during the Civil War area. Fascinating!


Up the stairs you can overlook the Senate and House chambers where they used to meet and make decisions. We were up in the balcony area where the "non-politicians" would have sat. The seats were all hard benches at a 90 degree angle. We could not believe people would sit long term in there. People were a lot tougher back then!





Before heading out we got our picture with one of the local soldiers. As you can see, Lily was much more fascinated with the buttons on his jacket than looking at the camera.


We tucked the babies back in their strollers and headed home.



While the weekend didn't come together as I had originally planned, it ended well and I think I am finally over the misery hump.

No comments:

Post a Comment