Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Tarheel 10 miler!

When I got pregnant, Bob and I were of course running, running, and running and had recently done a half marathon. I was so hopeful that I would be able to keep my running shoes active throughout my pregnancy even though my miles would decrease, but such was not the case. All of the nausea and vomiting made even the thought of running make me want to cry. So I willingly hung up my shoes and took a 9 month hiatus from the road! I must admit, it was kind of nice to have an excuse to wake up and decide to go back to sleep instead of hit the pavement, but I did come to miss it. It seemed like my measure of missing was directly related to how big I got.


Towards the end of month 9 I could not wait to get my feet and body back on the ground.

Once Lily popped out, I waited the appropriate time and then anxiously started to run. Boy, getting out of shape was so easy, getting back into shape.....a different story! Especially now that I have to push a baby while propelling myself up the countless North Carolina Hills. Oh yeah, and hold an anxious 100 pound dog. In order to encourage myself along, I registered for the UNC Wachovia 10 miler and worked to get in the miles.

Well yesterday, I did it! Whoo Hoo! Bob and I headed up to the UNC campus in Chapel Hill early in the morning with our running belts and race bibs.



Sweet Lily got to spend the early morning with our neighbors, Poppy and Nony Ficther. We got there with time to spare and headed to the start line.



Chapel Hill was beautiful and with all of the rain we have been getting, the trees, flowers and grass were luscious and breathtaking. The weather was overcast and misting, but overall perfect running conditions.

At 7:30 sharp the gun went off and we all started our engines. Bob took off with the 7:30 min/mile pacers and I decided to hang back with the 9's. The course was fantastic and so pretty. It ran all through the college campus as well as the surrounding "fancy" neighborhoods. Wow, not only were the homes in the area unbelievable, but the landscaping alone around some of the homes was like an island oasis. As the miles went on, I started feeling stronger and stronger. I was a little anxious because this race has a section that is called the "Laurel Hill Challenge." Basically it is a mile long hill that this specific race is "known for." I was running solid 9 minute pace and refused to let the hill get me. I pushed and ran the entire thing and only gave back a few seconds. I kept on thinking about Dori in "Finding Nemo," just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. At the top of the hill was mile 9 and the last mile I dropped down into an 8 minute pace to the finish line. I had to push so hard and I kept self motivating with "You are strong, you are powerful, you just had a baby (repeat)." I was getting tired when out of the corner of my eye I saw a sign that said "Keep it up Bethany." I know that it wasn't for me, but its affect was clear. I went across that finish line right at 1:30 and felt fantastic.


I really wished that the race would have been a few more miles! Thats what pushing the jogger does for you!


Bob had a fantastic race too and finished in 1:17. That's fast! We both got our medals and then enjoyed the free pancakes offered to us. Now we are on to the next race.....Half Marathon in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment