Wednesday, April 6, 2011

5 Months and All is Well!


Oh my, oh my, have I really been a Mom for 5 months? YES and I have enjoyed every minute. The months seem to just fly by now that every day brings a new babyism or action. I just love watching Lily.....dare I say it.....grow up.


I really feel like the past couple of weeks have marked a big change in her from tiny infant to baby with a developing personality. She is a whole little person now and you can see the awareness and uniqueness starting to show up a little more every day.

Bob and I are now noticing that she definitely has a stubborn streak (much like all babies, and her mother) and has started to try to assert her will through what I like to call "Volume Assertion." Yes, you can just imagine what that is. When Lily decides that she does not want to go down for her naps, her crying turns into an all out blood curdling scream that is sure to leave our neighbors wondering if, in fact, we are torturing the little dear. I do my best to take it in stride and no, she has not won any of the nap battles that way. She may put up a strong fight, but this Mom always wins the war.


Thankfully, she does this intense revolt during the day so that I know her screaming isn't bothering too many poor souls. Sometimes in the heat of one of these screaming matches, I just imagine her two years older, with mobility, words and attitude.......how exciting that will be.


Golly I just am so in love with her. Screaming aside, she has been so much fun lately and just smiles, laughs and interacts with us.


She has even begun reaching out to me when she wants to be picked up which just makes me want to kiss her endlessly. I think the neatest thing is that she is most assuredly aware when I am not around and when I am. Sometimes if she starts to fuss all that she wants is for me to hug her, sing to her and just love on her. The other night I was making dinner and she started to fuss, I came over picked her up and hugged her then put her back down. She proceeded again to fuss. I finally discovered that she just wanted to be with me doing whatever I was doing. That was of course making biscuits which was exceedingly difficult one handed with a little arm wishing it could reach a little bit farther and play in that wet doughy stuff. It just made me smile thinking about all of the messes we will make once she can really help me in the kitchen. It is such a blessing to be such a source of security and love for her.



This new found snuggliness is definitely wonderful, but I have discovered that it is heralding in the next big phase in Little Lily's life.....Teething. Yes, she has started the uncomfortable journey into getting her pearly whites.


Besides the cuddly nature, she plays with her ears, and has been chomping on anything that she can chew on, mom and dad's fingers included. We have this awesome toy that we can freeze and she has been loving that. I think it will take us a while to see any tooth buds pop through, but I can already tell she is starting to feel then move on in. I still can't believe that we will start her on solid foods in a month. Sniff, sniff, tear, tear, big smile! She is getting to be a big girl.



She is still madly in love with her bathtime and has discovered the coolest thing ever....CUPS. Lily loves cups.


It all started with this blue cup we use to pour water on her and now she is just mesmerized with them, she finds them everywhere. Who would have thought that something so simple (and cheap) would lead to such happy moments.


Bob and I stick the cup on her hand and she puts it right to her mouth......gives it a thorough licking.


She also likes this little dolphin water toy, we call him Moe. Moe is awesome because his nose and fins provide wonderful "pacifiers" and are perfect for chewing on.

As for Bob and I, we are doing well now 5 months into this parenting thing. Keeping our marriage at the forefront of our lives is definitely more challenging and we are learning through trial and error. As Lily becomes less dependent we are finding more time for each other and figuring out how our marriage works with the baby. I am so blessed to have married a man who so deeply loves me. His love for me is so beautiful and I cherish it greatly.

We are slowly meeting new friends and finding social things to do. I am still involved in MOPS and have been asked to be a table leader for next semester. We are enjoying our church and look forward to connecting more intimately in the future (you know, once our lives slow down...ha ha). Both Bob and I have really found running to be the perfect hobby for us as a family. It gets us out and about while keeping the dog exercised and providing healthy goals.


We have a 10 mile race on the books for this coming weekend and then we will be doing a half marathon next month. Of course all of this is getting us prepared for the Disney World Marathon next fall. 273 days to go!

All in all, life is good. We still miss being closer to family, but are trusting that the Lord is the one in the driver's seat and not us, thankfully. He knows the desires of our hearts and we trust that He is going to put us in the place that best serves His kingdom. Finding peace in Him is sometimes easier said then done, but He has never failed us so we won't start doubting Him now.


Right now our lives are pretty perfect, we love the Lord, we love each other and we are absolutely in love with our Lovely Little Lily Longmire. All the rest is just details.

No comments:

Post a Comment