Monday, March 19, 2012

Tobacco Road Marathon 2012

Call me crazy, but one of my biggest goals this year was to run back to back marathons starting with the Disney World Marathon and finishing with the Tobacco Trail. I remember back a year ago to when the idea started blooming in my mind. At the time Lily was a mere 5 months old and the idea of doing a marathon still seemed in many ways impossible. I remember dropping Bob off for the race and thinking, "How cool would it be if I could run this next year." Bob quickly pointed out that it would be only two months after the Disney World Marathon and kind of a lofty goal. I know, but what an accomplishment it would be, yes, and a little crazy. Well this past Sunday, I did it. Completed two back to back marathons in 2 and a half months. WHEW!


Grace and I trained together and pushed the babies many miles in preparation for our 26.2. The weather was threatening rain and we spent all day Saturday praying that it would hold off. That many miles in the rain could have been miserable! Sunday morning was cloudy and overcast, but no rain. It was perfect.


At 7AM, the gun went off and we headed towards the trail.

The course for this race was really mentally tough because it was all an out and back. To get a good idea of its mental challenge, mile 2.5, 14 and 23.5 were all in the same spot. You got it, we had to do two separate out and backs, passing the road home right in the middle. There really is nothing more demoralizing than seeing every mile there and back, twice. Grace and I ran 17 of our miles together and passed Bob twice. It was nice to see him during the race just to know that he was hangin' in there. I started slowing up as we kept on going farther and farther away from the road home. I stretched and ate, stretched and drank then kept plugging away at the miles. Miles 21-23 were super long for me and I definitely had a few moments where I was sure I was going to be out on the road forever. Thankfully I wasn't and I crossed the finish line at a nice 4:45.



I was certainly ready to be done, but so accomplished.


Running goal for 2012 done! On to the next........

Oh and keep posted for who we got to meet after the race.......

No comments:

Post a Comment