Saturday, November 30, 2019

We're still Thankful

Its nearly December 1st and Thanksgiving has come and gone.  Today we are neck deep in decorating for Christmas and my girls are already caught up on Home Alone and working on The Santa Clause.  This truly is my most favorite time of the year.


This was my 3rd year hosting Thanksgiving, and I will say it out loud, I LOVE HOSTING.  There is something so satisfying and fulfilling about planning, prepping, cooking, and delivering on one of the most special meals of the year.  Our bounty was full and we have so much to be thankful for.

This year we were blessed to have on of my best friends and her family join us around our table. Rebekah and Steve are two of the best humans out there and Bob and I are incredibly fortunate to call them friends.  They have been through a lot in the past couple of months working to find a solution to Rebekah's seizures, and it made my heart so light to be able to take care of them this year. I am thankful for them!  Plus my sweet potato pie got an A which is saying something coming from my Southern raised Georgia friend!  Whew!


Every year making homemade pies is truly a special thing because it is a tradition and a skill passed to me by my Grandma Fran.  Frannie Terrell could make pies, and I am ever so grateful that she taught me. This year was the first year that my girls participated in the whole process and as you can see we all made it through with no tears!  Man this growing up thing is a BLAST!




The turkey is always the 1 anxiety producing thing in my Thanksgiving preparations.  That bird is a big undertaking.  HUGE thank you to Sharyl Patton for the easiest, no worry, no stress, no pressure bird recipe.  Its magic guys, and as you can see, once again it worked beautifully.  My girls helped with the preparation and learned first hand where the turkey comes from.  My favorite line from this year's life lesson. "EWWW Mom, they put the neck in the Turkey's butt?!!!!"  HAHAHA. 


I spent the cooking time putting legos together.  It was oddly satisfying and wonderfully busying even if it was at times overwhelming.  We have thousands of pieces all mixed together so finding one castle's parts was tough.  It think my eyes may have crossed at one point.


Our turkey was carved, cut, and plated and the feast began.  Lily has been waiting all year for mountains of mashed potatoes. We had mountains, and so much other food her eyes were way bigger than her stomach.  The kids ate whatever they wanted and played for hours, meanwhile we adults ate, talked, and played a fabulous game of Settlers.  


I am so thankful this year for many many things, and we as a family have much to be grateful for.  Our lives are blessed most richly by the people we call friends and family.  I am exceptionally grateful for Grandma Jill and so glad that Grandpa Steve and Aunt Linda made it.  


We still remain ever grateful for life and living, and the chance to once again share the bounty. Happiest of Thanksgivings!

No comments:

Post a Comment