Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Jungle Beds

Once again I came up with a brilliant construction idea and Bob ran with it. Memaw and Papa had given us their bunkbeds 3 years ago and we have loved using them.  When they moved here they really needed a set of bunk beds and fortunately, I had been toying with a "hanging bed" idea for a while.  I had seen suspended beds at a friend's house and loved the idea so I mentioned it to Bob and like I said at the start....he ran with it!

We are so blessed to have a Bob in our lives.  He is amazingly handy and there is quite literally no project too big or outlandish for him.  He just rolls with it and makes it happen.  Plus, he makes all of his projects monkey proof......



Because.......well our kids are monkeys and anything with them in it needs to be  REALLY secure.  Bob went to his favorite store, Home Depot, and purchased a posse of 2x4s, paint, 850# weighted cabling and a bunch of screws.  The design evolved as we started measuring and thinking about kids having to go potty and saving space.  We started with Lily's bed up high and got it secure then raised Evie's bed so that she was close enough to the ground to go potty at night, but high enough to feel "special" too.  I LOVE how our design came out and not only do the girls have fantastically fun beds, but they have a fort area underneath it too!



My next big addition was personal bookshelves and lights for each of them.  Bob and I still want a 7pm bedtime around our house, but don't mind if our girls stay up and read.  I went to IKEA and purchased picture shelves and they curated their own little libraries the other night.


Bob was giddy to see how Lily's shelf turned out.  He is hoping and praying to have a STEM kid and based on her book shelf, I would say she is headed in the right direction!


Evie is all about animals and princesses.  Her shelf makes me smile too, "Mommy, I want some princess books, my animals in the desert book, and a space book for Daddy."  You bet kid.


Daddy is the best and there is no doubt that he loves his wife and his girls like nobody's business.  He is never frazzled by my harebrained ideas and always manages to start and finish them.  He's amazing and I am so grateful.  He and I are hoping that the jungle beds will be a tremendous memory  full of sister bonding, learning, dreaming, and fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment