Sunday, February 28, 2016

Operation We Pee In the Potty

Evie is potty trained!  No kidding!!! My little 2 year old is wearing panties and we have NO DIAPERS in the house.  She goes through the night and has been nearly perfect for 2 days.  I simply am amazed!  But I am ultimately amazed at the incredible man I married.  Bob is seriously my hero.


I laugh at how unprepared we were a week and ago for embarking on the potty training journey.  We had a boatload of upcoming trips planned which of course was going to leave each of us flying solo with different kids.  Bob and I had been talking about taking the potty training challenge, but were super resistant because, for all intents and purposes, Evie just didn't seem ready.

We have been trying for the past 3 months to bribe her with ANYTHING to get her to sit on the potty.  Nope.....nada.....not happening.  She would cry or scream, have a massive attitude or throw something whenever the potty was mentioned.  No promises of M&Ms, fruit snacks, going to school or getting a puppy (no kidding) would persuade her.  So we truly wrestled with pushing her.

I went grocery shopping a week ago Monday and with great resistance put a huge box of Luvs diapers in my cart.  As I lugged the box in I just had this moment, "Man I am so done with these!"  I paid for them and brought them home.  When Bob saw them his look was one of sheer determination, "I think we should go hard on the potty training."  Im with ya bro, but with him leaving for 2 days and then me leaving for 4, I realistically told him that the bulk of the effort was gonna happen on his shift!

"Go for it."

So I did. I woke up Tuesday determined to get this ball rolling. No more diapers in the day and we sit on the potty every 15 minutes.  I also took away all her precious popscicles until she tried in the potty.  My strategy was horribly unsuccessful and at the end of day 1 she was frustrated, I was frustrated and we had pee everywhere but the potty.  Poor Evie.  So I put her in diapers that night and closed my eyes to the mantra of  "Live to fight another day!"

Day 2 I dropped Lily at school and mentioned to one of the mother's about our potty training escapade and she asked if I was following the 3 day method.  Whats that?  So she emailed me the ebook.  As my naked child ran around the backyard (thank heavens for AZ Winters) I devoured the book, internally scolding myself for not finding it sooner.  I called Bob and he read it too (after all, he was on his way home to begin his watch) But......this method was ALL IN.  Day training and night training.  Basically before you even start, you gather every diaper in the house and either throw them away or give them away.  Yikes I thought.....really?  I will admit....I couldn't do it.  What if we needed them?  I put the rest of the method to work and day 2 was less frustrating. By 6 pm we had 1 successful potty pee.  Maybe this 3 day method COULD work.

Bob got home late Wednesday night and we quickly exchanged information, where the extra undies were, and what to expect.  Bob calmly told me that he absolutely thought we should do night training and that he was going to give the diapers to our neighbors.  As Lily and I left them at the airport I said a little prayer, "Good luck honey."  I will admit....I had doubts.  Not about the determination of my husband but about the determination of our child.  She is stubborn.


Day 3, Day 4, Day 5.  I really don't know all that went down these 3 days.  What I do know is this.  My husband is the most patient, kind, and gracious man.  He stayed hunkered down in the house for most of this time teaching our Evie to potty.  He had to encourage her to not only pee, but poop in the potty (no easy task) and had some major regression to work through.  By day 5 I could tell he was still fighting the fight but had found a level of discouragement.  Its hard to be covered in body fluids for days on end.

Then Day 6 happened and my brilliant, creative, problem solving husband developed the Potty Fort.   Its a  storage closet, with a potty in it, and a chain to close the door.


Voila.......Evie is potty trained.  It clicked.  The potty fort did it and Evie went from diapered toddler to a little lady in undies.  She makes it through the night and does all her business where she should.

Lily and I arrived home on day 7 and I was completely impressed.  Evie grew up big time during this operation and she is now an accomplished toddler who uses the potty.

And we are DIAPER FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment