Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: The Lost Dutchman Marathon

Its a big year for me and I am so excited for it.  I feel so strong, I feel ready.  IRONMAN is knocking and I am embracing the journey in stride.  I have a year's worth of training and racing on the calendar and it all got kicked off this past weekend with the Lost Dutchman Marathon.


Bob and I have run the 1/2 marathon distance of this event 2 times, but have never been in the space to tackle the full.  I was so excited to sign up for the LDM last year.  Of course back then I wasn't planning on racing the Phoenix Marathon 13 days later, but at this point who's counting.


After the leading of my coach I sat down to decide which races were my A races, the ones I was critically motivated by or connected to some kind of goal.  I decided that the Phoenix Marathon is the A Marathon for me this year and the event where I will go sub 4 hours on my time.  I have never gone sub 4.  Until this year I never even thought it would be possible, but.......this is my year.

I was coached to use the LDM as a training run......to not push, but practice.  Being that it was Valentines Day it was perfect to focus on running with my hubby, enjoying the view and just getting in some miles.  26.2 to be precise.

We were bussed out to the base of the Superstition Mountains and the fabulous Peralta Trailhead.  The LDM is a smaller race and it was so cool to have all of these runners huddled around little fires before the race.  We chatted and enjoyed the company.  I met a woman 40 marathons and 1 IRONMAN in.  This community is cool.



The race was incredibly challenging.  WOW.  Very hilly and the temps got hot.  I followed my race strategy and held back when I needed to.  I felt so good.  

As we got to the final 6 mile stretch I have never felt so strong.  My training is paying off and my smile could simply not be contained.  

Bob and I crossed the finish line at 4:01.  It was the first marathon that he and I have ever started and finished together.  The best part?  I had so much more to give.  Yes...I was tired and sore......I was supposed to be, but the Phoenix Marathon is in the bag if I just stick to my plan and rely on my training!



It is so satisfying to finish a big race.  It was especially satisfying to finish with my love and see my kids at the finish line.

Poor Evie played hard all morning and was absolutely pooped by the time we got home.  I get it....marathons are hard.


Bob and I went out for a date night that afternoon and wound up at the amazing Cadence Running Company taking turns in the Recover Pump Boots.  All I can say is AMAZING.  Its 2 days later and I am ready to run again........good thing the Coach has a tempo run on the books for tomorrow!


We came home tired, full from Red Robin and ready for bed. We couldn't help but check the results and I was completely caught off guard placing 5th in my age group for the marathon.  I LOVE running in smaller races :)  Happy to round out that leader board!


Here's to the next race!  The Phoenix.


No comments:

Post a Comment