Tuesday, January 26, 2016

YES.....you ARE!

Today was an incredible day.  One of those mountain top parenting moments.  Today Lily Grace WOWed me, astounded me and made me publicly cry in the doctor's office..........I was literally bursting with pride.  

It happened in 2 parts really, so let me start with right after school.  I have made it a mission to empower my girls.  I am raising them to be women who know how to be strong, bold and claim beauty.  They are beautiful.  I work hard to teach them that so much of the world will try to steal their joy....convince them of something untrue about themselves, but in their hearts they know who they are....who Jesus made them to be. Bold, daring, smart, courageous, kind women.  I say it......on repeat.  Over and over and over and over praying that one day it takes root and grows.  Today the seedling sprouted.

The kids play on the playground after school.  Boys chase the girls.......Lily loves it.  It inevitably gets out of control and today a little boy called her ugly.  She ran up to me wimpering but before I could say anything she stepped away from me, looked back at the little lad and said, "I know that I am beautiful, and smart and strong and brave." That was it.....and she went back to playing.  I stood there amazed. Yes, Lily you ARE.  I didn't have to prompt her......she knew.  She has heard it enough.  She grew up a little bit more right there....... I was so proud.


Then came this afternoon.  Lily was up for a well check DR visit and a few shots.  The last time she had shots I physically had to lay across her while 2 other nurses restrained a screaming, thrashing out of her mind Lily.  I was embarrassed (no its not about me....just being honest), and honestly angry.  So today I went to the DR gearing up for what might possibly lie in store.  Both my girls love the DR and were only too excited to get their ears, chest, throat, eyes, blood pressure and tummies checked.  As the time for shots neared the dread welled up in me.  The nurse walked in and I asked if Lily wanted to sit on my lap, "Not today Mommy, I'm brave, I can do it by myself."  Then little Evie piped in, "I'll hold your hand Lily, we be big brave together."  Lily and Evie sat right on the side of that bench and before the shot Lily put her arm right around Evie, "Watch how I do it Evie, I'm strong and brave."  Then folks.....she did it.  No tears, no screaming.  My Lily got 2 shots without even a whimper.  When it was done she turned to Evie and said, "See Evie, it only hurts for a second."

I sat in the corner completely floored and before I knew it I had tears welling up in my eyes.  Every time I have repeated and repeated and repeated myself.  Every time I have wondered if she will ever grasp how amazing she is. Every time I have worried that I am not doing my job right all welled up in one completely confirming and satisfying moment.  I couldn't help but cry.  YES you ARE brave!  


I love watching my girls grow up, and today I saw the seedling sprouts of incredible women. Women who will be rooted in the knowledge that they can do mighty things, that they are beautiful, that they are brave and kind and courageous, and that they are loved by a BIG God.  Women that listen to the still small voice speaking life to them and shut out the loud roar of negativity.  

These are my girls.  I am proud of them.  I love them.  They are Beautiful. They are Brave.  


No comments:

Post a Comment