Saturday, February 20, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: 9 Months

Another month has come and gone and I sit here 1 more step closer to my IRONMAN dream.  At the moment I am literally caught between two marathons so my focus has been completely on my feet and prepping for my personal goal of running the Phoenix Marathon in a sub 4 hour time frame.  I have never done that.  Actually up until about a year and a half ago I would have told you that a sub 4 hour marathon time frame was not within my reach.  When your personal PR at the time is 4:20 and you realize that you have to run a minimum of a minute per mile faster for 26 miles for that goal, the word "impossible" floats unchecked through your mind.  

Funny how things change.  I am now 6 days away from my "A" race and 100% confident that I will not only be able to go sub 4 but do it firmly.  I'm strong and I am going to say it here, "I CAN do it." But its more then that.  I have trained for it.  I have worked HARD for it.  It hasn't come free. 


 I have had to put my trust in my coach.  I have had to believe I can do things when much of me says, "ummmmmmm are you sure?"  I have had to learn to add track work and tempo work, learn the value of stretching, of fueling, and of sleeping.  I have had to learn about moving recovery and that 1 rest day is PLENTY for my level of fitness.  I have had to change my "I never run any distance over 6 miles the 2 weeks leading up to a marathon," to ;" I just did 6  miles yesterday and a 1/2 marathon distance today, 6 days from my race."  Repeated effort makes you stronger, not weaker.  Taper, yes, but taper right.  Its an education.....and I am trusting the process.


IRONMAN is a beautiful, challenging, life giving journey. It is a daily experience of getting up, pushing just a little bit harder, and discovering myself along the way.  Its about believing that my body was created and made to be GREAT and do great things and training my mind to be the catalyst for achieving them.  I am so glad I believed I could go on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment