Monday, May 4, 2015

Journey to IRONMAN: 6 Weeks to 70.3: 4:55 AM

Whew.....that's a big title.  No, I'm not writing this blog at 4:55AM.  It's part of the journey and I will talk about it in a little bit.


The countdown is here.  6 Weeks almost to the day that I will finish my first IRONMAN distance race with the Boulder IRONMAN 70.3.  It's a big step towards my ultimate goal of claiming that illusive title of IRONMAN.  I have been dreaming about that day and kind of wishing that my ultimate Full IRONMAN race was here, but simply put.....I'm not ready for the 140.6......I'm ready for 70.3.  This goal is big and it is going to take me a while....a journey......to get there.  I want to swim, bike and run my race well and therefore must go one step at a time.  While the countdown has started for me, I am still in heavy training mode for the next 3+ weeks.


Last week was a week focused on swimming in improving my time, fitness and technic in the water.  This week is going to be primarily focused on running with an hour swim session scheduled on Friday a 60 mile bike finish on Saturday followed by another run on Sunday(oh and a weight lifting class in there too!).


IRONMAN demands a nearly daily pursuit.  Oh you're tired...Get up and do it again.  Oh your legs are burning....Get up and do it again.


Which brings me to my 4:55AM.  You see, today is my rest day.  It's the day I have determined I get to 1. sleep in, and 2. rest from physical activity.  Oh wait....3.  and EAT!  Rest days are both good and bad.  When you are at my level of athletics, its hard to rest.  It's hard to not get up and go.  And today was no different. While training, my alarm clock has been permanently set for 5AM.  I have to beat the heat and beat the kids up.  It has taken a while to get used to it, but now without fail I wake up at 4:55AM. In the past month of training 6 days a week, my alarm has actually gone off twice.  I beat it EVERY day.  4:55 has oddly become my companion....even on my rest days.  I truly had a giggle this morning when I groggily woke up thinking I had slept in only to discover my ever faithful 4:55 friend staring me back in the face.  She doesn't know its my day off, I forgive her and frankly over the next year and a half she and I are only going to get closer and closer.  I have truly learned to embrace this new friend in my life and smile.  She is going to help me become an IRONMAN.  I'm okay with her ever constant presence.


The more I immerse myself in this pursuit, the more humbled I have become.  IRONMAN demands it all.  Give everything physically and then get up and give it all again.  Tired is truly a state of mind.  I'm learning to embrace the tired, the sore and the early and find power in it.  To stand humbled by the pursuit, but confident in my ability to achieve it. That's what it is going to take to be great.

Thats what it will take to be IRONMAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment