Friday, January 17, 2014

Musings of a Vegetarian

So Bob and I decided at the end of December to take on a meatless month challenge in January.  We are now 17 days into our no meat journey and I thought I would muse a bit about the experience.  Its funny how our culture is usually polarized between the people that love meat and think we are 100% crazy to the super health conscious who are only too willing to give recipes and advice.


Our challenge was really born out of a curiosity more than anything.  As athletes who have ambitions of an IRONMAN, we are always researching and discovering new ways to improve our fitness levels.  We heard a TED talk about an elite athlete who dramatically improved his times and physical stamina by switching to a completely plant based diet.  Now, I am not in a place where I am ready and or willing to give up my eggs, cheese and yogurt BUT, giving up meat and focusing on increasing our vegetable intake seemed very doable.  So our challenge was born.  Here is what I have learned and what I am finding amazing about this vegetarian lifestyle:

1.  I LOVE IT! Once you get over the stigma that all you can eat is pasta and quesadillas, the plethora of options is limitless.

2.  I feel lighter.  No kidding.  I eat....and A LOT, but I find I eat better and cleaner foods.  I just feel lighter, not weighted down or bloated.  Its wonderful.

3.  Avocados have become a staple for us.  They are amazing and work in place of meat on sandwiches and as a garnish on practically everything.

4.  Vegetarians don't miss out.  AT ALL.

5.  Quinoa and Beans are my new favorite protein.  They are amazing.

6.  I feel stronger and fitter.  My energy lasts longer and like I said before, I feel lighter.

7.  It is SO nice to not have to purchase or handle raw meat.

8.  This might be TMI, but I poop better.

9.  If we go out to eat, the vegetarian options are usually cheaper.

10.  I've lost weight.  No it hasn't been a lot, and No I am not necessarily trying, but this meatless lifestyle has given me more sustainable energy and helped me run harder and workout longer.

All in all it has been fantastic and I am looking forward to the last couple of weeks.  While we will most likely NOT give our meat up completely (Chic-fil-a nuggets anyone?)  we will absolutely limit our intake of meat to once a week or less.  There are so many other options out there.  Oh and apparently vegetarian cooking sits great with my picky toddler.  She has been eating like a champ!

No comments:

Post a Comment