Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year, A Time to Reflect

Ahhhh, a new year has dawned!  I don't know about you, but there is something refreshing and wonderful about waking up on January 1 of a new year.  Feels like a clean slate, a new beginning.  Its exciting and full of hope!


Today I find myself reflecting back on all that 2013 brought us.  SO MUCH HAPPENED.  2013 can really be summed up as a year full of extremely high highs and very low lows.  Many of the months were rough considering I spent 6 of them in a relationship with my toilet.  For my own reflection I feel as though I should divide the year in half.  Vomiting and not vomiting.  That being said, I didn't want to just remember myself and so I thought I would give you all the highlights of the past 12 months in this time of new beginnings.

January- We started the year off with the passing of my Grandma.  I remembered her a lot on the one year anniversary.  I miss her.  Even though I was still throwing up my insides every day I managed to eek out a 10 mile race with the in laws.  We spent our last holiday season with Grandpa Vern and took Lily to her very first National Western Stockshow.

February- This month was utterly bittersweet for as one cousin brought a baby into the world already in the arms of Jesus, another brought a new little life into our arms.  I have never been so torn between tears of joy and tears of sorrow.  The end of the month brought a trip out to Texas to catch up with the Jessups.  It was such fun to be together with my dear fellow pregnant friend and run our first annual pregnant 5k!

March- This month brought more and more and MORE throwing up.  It felt like this month was the one that never ended.  We got to see our dear friend Traci and meet miss Elly Katherine.

April- Although still all consumed with my stomach, April brought a lot of hope.  Spring had sprung.  We got to travel to Nebraska for a wonderful wedding and accompanying babymoon.  After much prayer and searching, the Lord also provided a house that we would move into.  No more apartment living!

May- My big brother Mike Opatrny and his family visited with us for a week.  It was wonderful and a great distraction from the late pregnancy blues.  We celebrated Evie Frances with a wonderful mountain shower when we took a break from packing our house into boxes for the impending move.  While many would think moving 9 months pregnant silly, I didn't have to lift a finger :).   We also had a wonderful visit from Grandpa Longmire and Lily got her new bedroom set!

June- We moved on the 1st and 2nd amidst Braxton Hicks and final stretch exhaustion.  I have never been so grateful for an awesome family!  I decided it was time for me to attempt a garden, you know, cause I wasn't busy enough.  Evie Frances came beautifully into our lives on 6/11/13 in a birthing experience that forever changed my view of myself.  Gramma Jill came out to spend a month with us. Our family was complete.


July- Bob completed his first ever Double Triple Bypass, a cycling journey over 125 miles and 3 mountain passes (twice).  Whew.  I started the long journey back to my body and found just how heavy two kids and a jogger is.  We had a visit from Aunt Sue and enjoyed the final days before Gramma Jill went home.  Boy she was missed!

August- This month was the hardest on record.  Post partum depression was a constant battle amidst loosing Bob's dear Grandpa Vern, not sleeping real well and desperately wanting to fit into my jeans again.  We were able to take the girls to the Renaissance Festival which was a big highlight!

September- I started MOPS and was asked to be a table leader.  I have been blessed with the opportunity.  In an incredibly freak accident, we lost our cousin Curtis Powelson to a 70 foot sinkhole.  Sorrow and sadness seemed overwhelming.  I had a high moment when I did my first 1/2 marathon in honor of our fallen family member. The month finished with a surprise trip out to my dear friend Traci's baby shower.  I was able to spend time with my best girlfriends, Anna, Traci and Tara.  Wonderful.

October- Fall brought with it changing colors and hope again.  We went to Iowa for Grandpa Vern's Memorial and I ran my first 20 miler on the hills of Iowa.  We got the chance to see Chelsea and Michael following Curtis' passing as well.  Lily went trick or treating for the first time and was simply too cute as Minnie Mouse.

November- Our Lily turned 3.  Where does the time go?  Lily also made the big girl choice to say bye bye to her boo boos and started swim lessons!  Go Lily.  I launched my very own photography business, Bethany Jayne Photography and am so excited to see where it will go.  Grandpa Longmire got to meet his newest granddaughter and we ended the month with another trip to Iowa for Thanksgiving.  It was wonderful to see Great Grandma's new house.

December- Snow and cold came in like a lion.  The girls had to start getting used to the idea of running in 15 degrees!  I finished my first ever sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon 6 months after my 2nd baby.  What an accomplishment!  We enjoyed Christmas at home with Memaw and Papa and then finished our year seeing our friends Tara and Matt Weatherly at the wedding of Tara's sister in Colorado Springs.  Evie gave me the greatest Christmas and New Years present.  SLEEP!

2013 was a big year, and a hard one.  It was simply the year of highs and lows.  We are so blessed that Evie arrived and are excited to see what 2014 will bring us!

1 comment:

  1. It's always nice to go back through the year and reflect on everything. The good, bad and ugly. And I was giggling because today I had to take out my upper earring that I got when you did your nose. Super painful and it took me 30 minutes to get it! Haha

    ReplyDelete