Monday, March 18, 2013

A Tiny Addition

This past weekend, we made the trip up to Cheyenne, WY to get our first in person look at the precious new Elly Katherine.  Chase and Beth were gracious enough to let us invade their home for a day and take in the wonderful newness and sweetness of their little girl.  Oh she was absolutely precious.


We could barely get in the door before I got to have her snuggled in my arms.  Both Bob and I traded her back and forth for nearly 8 hours.  We were remembering how wonderful it was to have a baby stay in one place and just sleep.


The difference between infant and toddler is in one word, energy.  Every second with Lily is either constant movement or constant communication.  With Elly, she was content to either look at us with her big blue eyes or sleep peacefully cooing for a couple of hours.  We enjoyed every moment and found ourselves anxiously anticipating Evie's arrival.


Elly is in one word, precious.  It seems like an overused word to use, but I just couldn't stop saying it.  Chase and Beth were both quick to remind us that she was apparently on her best behavior for us and that she is normally not that "precious." I know how that goes, but every moment spent with her was lovely.
The Many Faces of Elly:

Oh I just couldn't snuggle her enough.  I did find it pretty cute though that when I would lay her on my chest my little Evie would kick and punch at her from inside.  It didn't phase Elly one little bit, but Evie was quick to remind me that "Hey Mom, that's my spot."

Later in the afternoon Lily got to hold little Elly.


 Bob and I were far more concerned than Chase and Beth.  We had talked to Lily all week about baby Elly and how we had to have soft hands and be gentle.  I shouldn't have worried so much.  Lily was an absolute doll with Elly and was so gentle.


She kissed, snuggled, cood and talked to Elly just like a great big sister.  We were so very proud of her.

The day brought to light how amazing God is and how simply miraculous these little lives are.  Beth and I talked about how much we missed Gran Fran, especially since so many babies are coming into our family.  It reminded us that life is a special journey, one with a beginning and an end.  A life well lived is as much a cause for celebration as a new life just starting.  Somehow snuggling Elly with Evie prancing in my tummy brought me close to Gran Fran again.  It made me smile and hope that, even if only for a minute, maybe Gran Fran could look out her window and catch a glimpse of the precious ones who will forever be a part of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment