Saturday, September 17, 2011

Runnin' with the Ducks!

While I was growing up, every time it would rain my mom would always say that it was "Great Weather for Ducks." I have to be honest and tell you that every time she said that I could not understand what she meant. Ducks don't love rain, do they? It then dawned on me that I really was never out in the rain for an extended period of time so, who knew, maybe ducks were out and about on a rainy day!


Well Duck weather happens a lot out here in North Carolina and this weekend is no exception. First of all you have to know that FALL has come for the past couple of days. We are talking temperatures in the 50's and windy cool. It is wonderful, but both Grace and I are discovering that we are a tad short on warm clothes for the babies. We've made do, but we are going to have to do some laundry and soon! On top of the temperatures it has been rainy, rainy, rainy for the past couple of days. Of course, while most people snuggle inside with their hot cup of cocoa and read a good book, the Longmires and the Jessups have other ideas. We go out and run. All I have to say is that it is a good thing we have tough kiddos!


Yesterday, Grace invited me to go out and run a cross country 5k race with her NCSU club team. You all know me, I am up for anything! So we get to the race site and here is the image: 50+ serious varsity runners are out and about in their little booty shorts, varsity jerseys, lightning fast shoes and matching jackets. In the background the announcer is calling the male run with a "There's the lead pack of 8 headed towards the finish. They are going to cross right at 14:50." What?????!!!!???? 14:50 for 3 Miles????? I did the math and realized that that means they were running less than 5 minute miles for 3 miles. Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore.

So I found Grace and we headed to the far edges of the start line. Far away from the hard core ladies.


The gun went off and we all started. Bob took a great video of the start. The entire pack headed down the hill at a lightning pace and then here comes Grace and Bethany.........DEAD LAST. I realized that I was way out of my league immediately, but I decided that I was NOT going to come in last, no way, no how. So I picked it up. Grace and I started picking off the varsity stragglers one by one and just so that you all know, we did not finish last, whoo hoo for the Moms. We pushed and pushed hard even when it started to pour rain on us. Grace and I, for all of our sweetness, are both highly competitive. We pushed and pulled each other the entire race, I took the lead when she needed encouragement, and she took over when I was gettin' tired. The last hill we dug deep and powered up to the finish line. Grace crossed at 24:03 and I crossed at 24:12.


Beating several of the varsity cross country runners. We felt so great considering we were older than all of the runners and the fact that we had two little munchkins waiting at the finish line.


This morning Bob and I had another 5k race and we woke up to pouring rain. You have got to be kidding. Sebron decided that he wanted to run it as well so we bundled the babies and headed out in the rain. For all of our hopes that it would stop raining, it did not and actually got worse. Grace stayed at the finish line with the babies who were SOOOOO good despite their "wet" status.



Sebron, Bob and I headed down the wet soggy trail and were DRENCHED when we arrived back at the finish. I giggled so much though, because all along the greenway I saw ducks! Indeed it was great weather for ducks. Ducks, not People! It was a great run and Sebron came in 2nd place overall, he almost won the whole event! Bob came in at a quick 21 minutes and got great looks because he did it all barefoot.


I came in around 29 minutes. I got stuck behind several "non-runners" just out for a jaunt in the rain. We had a great time and the babies were so cute!




So we have coined a new phrase. Whenever it rains it has become "Great weather for ducks, runners and babies!"

No comments:

Post a Comment