Thursday, June 23, 2011

Holy Sleep Deprivation!

As a parent you slowly learn that with babies, nothing is certain. Actually, I take that back, one thing is certain: just when you figure it out, they'll change it on you. Oh my. That has been the case here at the Longmire abode. I do understand that teething causes drama, but seriously, this MUCH? I am amazed at how a 17 pound little bundle can disrupt literally the entire house and I am sure several of the surrounding neighbors. In retrospect, now that I have caught up on much missing sleep-thanks to having a Grandma in the house, it is kind of funny what happened here the other night. When it was happening, it was most definitely NOT funny! Here is the story.

When Aunt Jayne was here last, we started to discover that Lily just doesn't sleep as well knowing that she has a roommate. I don't know how she knows it, but it is like she just senses that there is another presence in the room which requires more screaming and less sleeping. No matter who is in the room with her, once they are in there, our nights go from okay to chaos (all the boys out there help me out with the whistling and explosion noise added for emphasis here) -----------------!@!$#@$%@#$#$!#$. I know this may sound dramatic, but it is the gosh darn truth. It's bad. So teething aside, I knew that she was going to have a hard night when our next visitor showed up. I braced myself and Grandma Jill upon picking her up at the airport. I put the full disclaimer on my Little Lily letting Grandma know that if she came here to sleep, she was in for a surprise. And Lily did not disappoint.

Tuesday night Lily went to bed at 8pm like normal. Bob and I were at small group so when we got home at 9 I went in and nursed her (it is so cute when she sleep nurses). We crawled into bed around 10 thinking that the baby would be good and full and we would have a good night. HA! 1:17am rolled around and Grandma brought the wiggly one into our bedroom. I got up, got to the rocking chair and nursed her, effectively putting her back to sleep and laid her dreaming form back in her crib. I pulled myself back to my bed and sank in with exhaustion. 2:44am-I heard crying and thought I was dreaming, NOPE, it was the baby. What in the world? I remember saying audibly as I was crawling out of bed "You have got to be kidding little girl."

I got into her room, re-pacified her, hugged her and laid her down, only to have her crying again before I left the room. Okay. So I took her into the living room thinking, maybe she just needs a change of scenery plus, Grandma and Bob needed to sleep! I laid her on the floor as she was rubbing her eyes and curled up on the couch only to have her in a screaming, crying fit. So I got down on the floor with her. She settled and tried to sleep for about 15 minutes only to end up in a screaming, crying fit again. Okay now I was a little frustrated. "What was up?" Lily was making so much uncontrollable noise that my sleep-through-a-hurricane husband came out to the living room to survey the scene. We made her a bottle, gave her some Advil and, Praise the Lord, she fell asleep in my arms. Of course it was now 3:45am. Carefully, I took her to her crib, covered her with a blanket and headed towards the door. Before making it to the door (4 feet from her bed) she screamed again. OMG!!!!! Okay, so much for sleep, now the only goal was to keep her happy so that everyone else could sleep. I have this brilliant idea......her car seat! Yep, we went down for a parking lot road trip. I grabbed a blanket strapped her into her seat, crawled in the front seat and prayed she would sleep. Not 10 minutes later she was out. Seriously???!!!????? So we hung out in the car from 4am to 6am. I slept, but not well. I kept remembering that we recently got a note from our leasing office warning us of recent break ins. Then I laughed thinking "If they break into my car they will get a screaming, crying baby. Yeah, I think we're safe."

I have no idea what that was all about, but it was quite a night! Upon waking up, Bob came into the living room at 7am, looked at me, hugged the baby and said, "Yep, the little terrorist has arrived."

No kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment