Monday, November 29, 2010

The Learning Curve


We have almost reached the month mark and Lily is learning more and more every day. So am I. The learning curve with a new baby is incredible. Here is a list of the latest lessons learned on the journey of motherhood:

1. No matter how many burp cloths you have in your arsenal, when you need one it is always on the other side of the room.

2. Baby farts are sooooo cute especially when you watch the effort each one takes.

3. Sleeping when your baby sleeps is a myth to be sure. When in the world do you get anything done if you sleep when they do?? Her nap time is the only time I can effectively pay the bills, make the bed, do the dishes, vacuum, shower, get dressed, feed the dog, feed the cats etc. etc. Doing these things one handed is just not easy.

4. No matter what they tell you, breastfeeding hurts. End of story.

5. I thought for sure that in the middle of the night all I would have to do is get up when the baby cried, change her, feed her and then go back to bed. Little did I know that "going back to bed" sometimes takes 2 hours if Lily decides she wants to chat. That being said once she does sleep again she is usually awake in less than an hour. Nuts to sleep lets watch a movie.

6. Going to the grocery store/doctor/bank/gas station is a whole day affair. Not just the going and shopping but then getting everything into the house. Don't forget the baby!

7. No matter how hard she cries, no matter how hard she screams I CAN outwit, outlast and outplay in the game of Mommy Survivor. As Bob says "stay high level," my patience should be able to outlast her screams, right??

8. Forgetting something when you leave the house is just a common occurrence. I don't think I have left with everything yet. Oh well, many moms have done this without the diaper bag. Thank heavens for stores that sell diapers.

9. When I finally get a shower and clean clothes on the baby automatically barfs on them. Oh well, just wipe it up and proceed. Changing takes much to much effort. A little baby drool stain might become my latest fashion statement.

10. Watching Lily in Bob's arms while he talks to her and calls her Lily Bear is about the best and most precious experience ever.


P.S Never, never, never leave diaper trash out where Rocky can get it. And I thought my vomitting days were behind me. HA!

2 comments:

  1. Oh what fun! When reading this I can just see the fun and trying times! Can't wait for my own Mommy Learning lessons to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your posts! And the list is most accurate! I've often thought that "sleep is overrated!!" I found that keeping a bib on for a constantly drooling baby, helps keep her clothes dryer. They are easy to keep changing.

    ReplyDelete