Thursday, February 24, 2022

Mesa Half Marathon 2022


Well, its been a hot minute since I last signed up for and ran an official race.  COVID kind of changed the entire landscape of racing, and it is just now getting back up and running.  Last year my dear friend Rachel ran her very first half marathon, and officially "drank the cool-aid."  When I had a race entry for her to run the Mesa Half Marathon, she said yes real quick.  So I was officially back into run training mode.



I won't lie, I have been pretty wishy washy about running distance since our Grand Canyon Run.  Running distance requires consistent running.  As I get older, running is only made possible by running....often.  Given that running stability is kind of in opposition to yogi openness, you can see my dilemma.  Its been harder than I want finding the balance between the two.  Running inevitably took a bit of a back seat so officially training again was hard at first.  But I found it, and all of a sudden, like it always does, the miles get easier, and running gets REALLY fun again.

Rachel and I ran a few training runs together and I introduced her to my hills.  I am so excited to watch her grow as a runner. 


The Mesa Marathon is one of the best, hands down.  The expo is wonderful and right down in the heart of the Mesa Riverview.  We met Rachel there to pick up our packets before the race.  The weather was perfect.



Race morning was beautiful.  We connected with a bunch of other runners from the Las Sendas Club and found our way to the start line.  


The race was spectacular and Rachel and I settled into a great pace.  She is a strong runner and I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to be out amongst runners again.  Racing truly is the BEST!


The last 3 miles were amazing and we pulled into the finish line running strong.  Both of our husbands ad girls were at the finish line for us which made it all the more sweet!




Rachel and I finished in 2:17 giving her an 8 minute PR over her first half!  So darn proud!



So many awesome friends finished the race and it was wonderful to be out there.  There is just nothing like a race finish complete with beer and pizza!



I hung my newest medal on my wall and then proceeded to sign Bob and I up for the Lost Dutchman race the following weekend.  Yes........this is fun......and yes......we love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment