Sunday, June 6, 2021

The Matthews Move to Texas

If you have ever moved, you can deeply resonate with this sentiment.  Goodbyes are hard.  There is honestly just no way around it.  Rebekah and Steve Matthews have been a constant in our lives since moving to Arizona so in December when Rebekah called me to say that they might be moving to Texas I had that moment of, sadness mixed in with this overwhelming sense of excitement for them.  Moving and going on adventures is a language I speak and honestly it can be the most life changing and wonderful thing mixed in with this great sense of.....bummer.



This year has seen a lot of change in this group of friends. Life is moving forward and on.

3 months ago when the move became even more inevitable, I quickly volunteered to help them with the driving come moving day.  Two reasons I did this......1. to be helpful, but 2. because I wanted to wait as long as humanly possible to say goodbye.

We have had a wonderful few months enjoying the luxury of living close to each other.  Rebekah and I even powered through the Fast and the Furious Movies over the past month (how fitting that the last one we watched together is the 7th......if you know you know).  I am deeply grateful for the time we have had before moving day.

When moving day came, Bob dropped me off at their AZ home and in short order the Uhaul, towed Nissan, and the mini van were well on our way.





We OF COURSE had to stop at Dutch Bros for some coffee.  Its our thing.......that thing I will miss the most, coffee and talking.  Thank the Lord for Marco Polo!


Moment of truth, I HATE road trips, but I LOVED driving their van.  My eyes have been opened to understand now how people like road trips.  I mean it was pure luxury!  We took our time and stopped anytime anyone needed it.  It was laid back and we just talked.






Our first day saw us to Lordsburg New Mexico.  It was a perfect little stopping spot and we had a fantastic meal at Kranberry's Chatterbox.  So much fun and I think I solidified myself with the kids as fun Aunt B.  Hope it sticks.


Since I was driving, our first stop  on day 2 was Starbucks!  Kids got Cakepops and Rebekah and I enjoyed our usuals! 



More shenanigans.....

And then TEXAS!!!!


Midland was our stopping spot and we all got settled and then had a pizza party on the floor.  After that I got to have Amelia in my room and she and I watched Harry Potter!  So good!


DAy three we awoke to rain. and it rained ALL DAY.  As in we did not see the sun once.  It made driving a bit more challenging, but I did'nt mind, I was in my luxury mobile playing my cruise control game behind the UHAUL (basically how long can I go without touching the pedals and only working the cruise buttons).  The game became really fun when Steve taught me about the coast function!


After a long morning in the car we pulled up to their ADORABLE new home in DAllas Texas (lucky state). 



By the time we started to really unload the truck, the rain was pouring down hard.  Steve and I decided to just go for it and we were able to get the whole truck unloaded and in their new garage.



We were both soaked through, but I was so glad that I was there to help.  I had to get back home the following morning and was so excited to see my girls.  Life is so beautiful and I am deeply grateful for the home I have. 


I am deeply going to miss having this family close, but know that God has wonderful things ahead of them.  I am so excited for them to take flight in their new home and pray fervently that REbekah will meet her next best friend who will drink coffee and talk about all the things.

So much love to these guys!

Welcome home Matthews!


No comments:

Post a Comment