Saturday, June 12, 2021

Fixing Flats

Last Tuesday was a really awesome day for me.  I changed my own flat tire with my two girls in the car while on a major highway.  

When I started to drive, my Dad gave me a basic lesson on tire changing, but given the fact that I was a young girl, his encouragement was to always call someone for help.  Being alone on a highway as a young 16 year old probably wasn't the best place to be.  But, I never had to change my tire.  Of all the flat tires I have had on my car, I have either been with my parents or my husband who have just changed it for me.

A couple of years ago while traveling to the doctor I got a flat .25 miles from the office.  I was so sick I just couldn't imagine changing the tire so I called Bob to come and rescue me while I walked to my appointment.  I will admit, besides being sick, I honestly was scared to do it.  Its overwhelming when you have never done it, ya know?

After that experience though, my husband was adamant that I know, and confidently know how to do it on my own.  So a couple of times we went into the garage and I did the thing on a perfectly good tire.  Practice removes fear.  Now the only fear was around the uncertainty of "what happens when its summer, on the highway, and you are alone with your girls?"  No way that perfect storm will happen.


HA!  That is exactly what happened, and I stinking handled the whole thing like a boss.  

While driving to swim team we heard a loud noise on the 202.  I looked back at Lily who was very worried and slowly pulled over to the side (which was at one of the widest points on the highway!).  I told her that I was pretty sure we had a flat tire and she was ready to help.

I got out and confirmed my suspicion and then Lily and I got to work.  From start to finish I was fully confident and fully competent (I didn't eve call Bob until we were done and on our way again).  Lily was so engaged in the whole process and was so excited to be a part of the process.  "Mom how do you know how to do this stuff?  I wanna learn and I wanna practice!"  It was such a good moment and such a phenomenal experience.  We had all the things, summer, heat, kids, highway, and we put on our can do pants and got the thing done.


I am almost 39 and just now have changed my car tire.  It feels so good to solve your own problems and do so with confidence.  We were only 15 minutes late to swim and my girls both got one of the best life lessons out there.  


We Longmire women are capable, competent, and possible.  We will always take help if offered, but at the end of the day, we can stinking change our own tires!


No comments:

Post a Comment