Sunday, February 7, 2021

The Island Green

The Island Green at TPC Sawgrass 


Golf is one of the few sports where the average player and the professional can walk on the same ground. One of the most sacred places in all of golf is the 17th green at TPC Sawgrass. It's up there with Amen Corner and the 18th at Pebble. 

I got to play this course with my dad over 2 of most glorious days of golf you could imagine. 



Walking into the clubhouse, they have the bag of raining Player's champion Rory Mcllroy reminding you that this course is played by the best in the world every year and is not a simple round of golf. Last year, Phil Mickelson got beaten up by the course and remarked, "I have no idea how I ever won here, this place is impossible." 




I have never experienced such a lush golf course. The course was beginning to grow out for the tournament in March, and the conditions were amazing. Due to Covid, several corporate events were cancelled, and we had the whole course to ourselves over the 2 days. It was truely a once in a life-time experience. 

As you play the 16th hole, you can look to your right and see the 17th green alone in the lake surrounded by stands where thousands of people will be gathering in a few months. Today, we had it to ourselves and made the long walk from the 16th green to the 17th tee in silence. 


I got to go first, and proceeded to hit a ball into the water like I've never swung a golf club in my life! My dad had this hole in his sights and hit an amazing shot to 10 feet. 



Getting a 2 on 17 is every golfer's dream! My dad hit it close, walked up, and made the putt! 






On day 2, I knew I had the tee shot on 17 when I walked down the 16th fairway and saw the pin was a Sunday pin on the top right shelf. For some reason, I instantly felt that shot and knew I had it in the bag. I step up, hit my shot, and watched the ball roll past the hole. I was really hoping that would be my first hole in 1 and we would get it on tape




It's difficult to convey how tough this course actually is. Everywhere you look there is trouble. Bunkers right. Water left. Trees in the middle of the fairway. Holes that bend 45 degrees. There is just always something to keep you on your toes. Wildlife included.




Getting to play this course with my dad was one of the biggest joys of my life! It was an unbelievable course and enjoyed getting my butt kicked by a hard course! 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment