Sunday, September 22, 2019

MAC

My Lily Grace.  My gorgeous, fun, athletic, and strong daughter.  I am in awe of her.

This young woman has found her passion.  The pool.  We have always known she was a fish.  She can be in the water for hours and hours and hours.  Its like a second home to her.  BUT, this year, she decided, of her own volition, "Mom, I want to be a swimmer."  So we made the call and had her try-out for the Mesa Aquatics Club Swimming Team.  She easily cruised onto the Novice team and has been swimming her little heart out 3 days a week since August.  


Last weekend was her first big swim meet and look at her!  She's amazing!



The world of competetive swimming requires a bit of a learning curve.  I learned in short order that everyone looks the same so you have to put a defining something on her!  I sharpied a lily on her back......seemed appropriate, and now I hope it becomes a staple for her.  

Lily started her day anchoring a 4 man relay.  The girl can swim, and she pulled well past the remaining teams at the end.  She is all power.





She rested and then competed in 2 different back stroke events, 2 freestyle events, and one breast stroke event.  She loved looking up at the board to see where she placed in her heat.  The passion, drive, and joy she found was really delightful to watch.  




My kid is an amazing swimmer.

The week of this event Coach Jenny met with all of us parents to discuss some team basics.  She also let us know the requirements for moving up into the next level team.  Most kids stay in novice for 6 months to a year before being promoted.  The next level requires 200 meter competency in all 4 legal strokes.  Its a big leap.  Jenny emailed me to say that Lily had already proven herself ready for the next team after 6 weeks on novice.  Not kidding.  Her words via email were "Lily is strong and determined, but what makes Lily amazing is that she is coachable.  She always looks me straight in the eye, listens to what I tell her to do, and then does it.  Lily is going to have a very successful swimming career."

I could care less if Lily wins all the medals, she has already won top prize in my book.

Lily, I am so dam proud of you! Go Baby Girl, GO!


No comments:

Post a Comment