Thursday, March 22, 2018

TRI for the Cure AZ 2018




Back in 2014, a dear girlfriend of mine convinced me to jump into the world of triathlon by participating in the Tri 4 the Cure CO race held at Cherry Creek.  At that time I was an IRONMAN wanna be and needed to start actually triathloning so of course I said yes.  This series of races holds a special place in my heart, not only for its purpose, but also because it represents the start of my triathlon journey.  That race 4 years ago is what made me a triathlete.

Rosario reached out to a bunch of us a couple of months ago and asked if we wanted to participate in the AZ version of the race on St. Paddys Day.  It just so happened to be her birthday and I jumped at the chance to "celebrate" with her.  Running a race for any occasion is a good day!

 

The AZ race is shorter than a sprint distance event.  The pool swim is 400 meters, followed by an 8 mile bike ride, and finishing in a 2.4 mile run.  It is a fun, fast, and FABULOUS distance to race.  Go hard, cause when you want to die you get to either switch sports or run across the finish line.



I had a great swim in the pool.  It was chilly at the start so all of us couldn't wait for our turn to jump in the pool and go.  I really loved it and even though open water swimming is awesome, it is nice to not have to site out of the water!


The bike was surprisingly challenging due to its course. 2 miles heavy up followed by 2 miles down, 2 miles up, 2 miles down.  The down was great, but the uphills were no joke.  Of course, I haven't been on my bike a lot so I was feeling it!


The run was fantastic and I cruised through the finish line having a solid under 8 min  pace.  I passed a few athletes and didn't get passed once.  I crossed the finish line feeling well warmed up and fired up.  THAT WAS FUN!


The Tri 4 the Cure was a great event and  a fun one for the whole family.  The girls really enjoyed the candy given freely at the finish line.  Happy Birthday to Rosario and I am looking forward to the next race "celebration!"


No comments:

Post a Comment