Thursday, December 22, 2016

That Time I Got My First Tattoo


Yes, that quote applies to you!  How many things have you wanted to do but give yourself a million excuses and outs from it?    This year has been a breakthrough year for me.  It's been a year of choosing to embrace life in ways I have always wanted to but have said "no I just couldn't" in the past.  

I didn't go crazy or have a mid 30 crisis.  I just said yes to some things I have always thought would be cool.  

Like....become an IRONMAN

Like.....shave my head.

Like.....get a tattoo.

I have wanted to get a tattoo for a while now, but have been waiting for the perfect moment, memory or significant event to do it.  My 2016 as a whole has been the event and with the fantastic start to my IRONMAN career still fresh in my mind I could think of no better time to do it.


So....7 days after IRONMAN I marched myself right into the Living Canvas Tatoo shop and had Andrew tattoo my wrists.  I went by myself and did not waiver once.  I was absolutely ready to do this.


I will admit that it was more painful than I originally thought it would be so I ended up needing to be horizontal to manage it, but once I got that under control the experience was fun!  I tattooed both of my forearms.  A bold move some may say, but this year has all been about living and doing things boldly.  Plus, I wanted to see my tattoos when I am in aero on the bike.


The body will achieve what the mind can believe.  I put the M dot with the Believe because in order to achieve anything, you must first believe that you can. I have believed that I could be an IRONMAN for years.  It was natural to put them together.  


Andrew nailed it.  He captured exactly the simplicity and fun I wanted in the font and the design.  I LOVE my tattoos.  More than that, I LOVE that I marked this epic year with something permanent.  Some day I hope my grandkids ask about it.  I hope I get many chances to tell my 2016 story.  


I'm also not done (sorry Mom :) ) and I look forward to chronicling more IRONMAN feats in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment