Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Lessons from an IRONMAN Journey

WOW, it's been a month.  One month since I flew across the finish line to claim my rights to the IRONMAN title.  Time has flown by and yet every day when I come into my office and see my medal and IRONMAN board on the wall I can't help but smile.  You CRUSHED it, Bethany!  I did, I look back on that day and am in awe of myself.  I came to play November 20th and had a blast doing my thing.


I have had a lot of time of reflection and I will admit, I am smack dab in what  the triathlon community calls the "IRONMAN Blues."  It's real and kind of hard to explain.  I love being back with my family and having once again that strange commodity of time and energy, but I miss the grind, the focus, and the goal chasing.  It's such a critical time of rest and recovery and I have so much on the horizon, but it's hard and weird.  Again....its just kind of hard to explain.

A couple of months ago I started writing down all of the lessons that IRONMAN was teaching me.  Such a big and involved journey revealed a lot about life, myself and my thought patterns and I think it's time to run down the list:

1. It truly WAS worth it.- The time, the energy, the sacrifice, the tears, the pain, the waiting.  I wouldn't change any of it.

2. Doing hard physical exercise is good for the soul, and the mind.

3.  Progress, NOT Perfection.

4. Someone will always be prettier, smarter, stronger or faster than you.  Accept it, love yourself and be the best version of you.


5.  Don't eat the whole elephant, its babies, and its grandparents.  You just can't handle that much on your stomach.

6. Good food is costly on the wallet, but poor food is costly on the body.

7. Don't waste good energy on anger, or politics, or finances, or worry or........just don't waste good energy.  Trust me.....you need that stuff.

8. If you want to find out who your friends are......train for an IRONMAN.

9.  SLEEP. Never underestimate the power of sleep.  If you do, it will catch up to you and you will fall asleep one day and not be able to move for 17 hours.

10. Take care of the small stuff.  If you don't..........it WILL become BIG.  Whether this is in relationships or your body.  I had a minor foot problem that I addressed.  I uncovered a potentially debilitating issue, but caught it and handled it early.  Don't run from the little stuff.

11. Stay in the moment- don't miss the joy and learning here, fretting about what's coming.

12.  You can ride 100+ miles on a bike all by yourself. You really can.


13.  Some days suck.  Just miserably, demoralizingly suck.  Embrace the suck.  Tomorrow is a new day.

14. Trust your coach. No really, give your dream to your coach and then fall back with your eyes closed.  Even when you doubt, trust.  Even when you are challenged......trust.  Trust your coach.

15. Do what you love.  If you have to hit the snooze button you don't truly love what you do.

16.  Find your tribe, your commrades, and your training community, but remember, you must do you.  You must stay focused on your journey and your goals.  You will have company, but you will also travel alone.  Find peace with that and learn to embrace the quiet of your mind.

17.  IRONMAN is an individual achievement but a village sport.  If your village supports you fully it is a treasure beyond measure.

18.  IRONMAN is a distant call that beckons you away from your spouse.  Give it too much power and it will become the "other man" in your life.

19.  Trust your coach.  I know I already said it, but it truly bears repeating.

20.  When all else is failing, BELIEVE you can.  Just believe.  The body CAN Achieve what the mind can BELIEVE.


21.  Positivity is a choice.  Living bravely is a choice.  Living Bravely Positive when you are Completely Exhausted is a choice.  Choose wisely.

.....and Lastly.......

  The Journey is the reward. Every bump and bruise, every mile and step, every morning in the pool and evening on the bike.  Every moment spent dreaming and every night spent wondering is part of the journey. Every friend you meet and fall you take, every moment, every good day and every bad day gives meaning to your journey.  Journey well.

No comments:

Post a Comment