Monday, July 4, 2016

Freedom

Happy Independence Day!!!  Its been a fantastic holiday weekend for us Longmires and although I am far behind in my blogging I just want to pause everything and celebrate the joy of FREEDOM.  


I have thought about the idea of freedom A LOT over the past 3 days.  Its been a wild parenting journey.  It all started on Saturday morning.  I had been out for my long glorious bike ride.  I came home to find that Lily and Evie had gotten a hold of scissors and while hiding in my closet did some major snipping.  People have asked me if I was shocked.  Nope.  Not even a little bit.  I was honestly surprised it took this long.  Evie's was the most dramatic and we nearly had to give her a boy cut.  I still think she looks pretty darn cute (and a lot like trouble).


Lily ended up with a very layered bob.  She grew like 2 years with that hair cut.  I sat in the salon watching the blonde hair fall to the ground and my little girls smiling in smug satisfaction thinking about freedom.  


Sunday yielded an apocalyptic melt down of the two girls.  They were tired and feisty.  A rough combination when your sister has the doll you want.  No matter that you have every other doll, the one she touches is worth the nuclear battle.  It was epic. Oh the scratching, biting and pinching. They took handfuls of our landscaping rock and scattered it all over our yard (an infraction they have been harshly disciplined for before). I once again came home from my long run to screaming little girls, a cracked outdoor patio table, timeouts and strong willed ladies attempting to win against their Daddy's unrelenting love and patience (Let me tell you girls......that never works).  

We got to church and had such a naughty and disrespectful Lily that we had to take away fireworks today. That one hurt.  Again I have contemplated freedom.


Our country with all its faults has given us freedoms unlike any other place on earth.  We can literally be and do what we want.  That is a precious thing.  In that freedom though I have come face to face with the reality that freedom carries great consequence when abused or taken advantage of.  Freedom isn't always free.......and the freedom we have can bring us some of the greatest joy and success or yield incredible heartache and loss.  My girls have learned that first hand this weekend.


Treasure your freedom, thank those responsible for your freedom, but above all respect your freedom. We have been given the chance to make choices in every area of our lives.  Be wise with that gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment