Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: The Dueces Wild Triathon

Alright, Little Miss Lily had had her day so its now time to share my story up at the Dueces Wild Triathlon!  There is a Meme that goes around on Facebook of a surprised little girl and the caption goes, "Ooooops......I signed up for another race!"  This was SO me when it came to Dueces.  After my experience with the Rocky Point Tri and my stomach troubles, I was just hankering for another go at an Olympic event and didn't want to wait until July!  I know.........its an obession.  So 2 weeks before Dueces I Hail Mary'd it and signed up for the event.  After all, we were gonna be up there anyways.



It was going to be such a fun weekend especially with my girl Bridgit doing her Half IRONMAN.  I really didn't want to miss out on the racing frenzy.  We headed up to Show Low a week and a half ago,  got to our campsite and headed over to collect our numbers and race day swag.  I am going to say it again.....Man I love racing.  Nothing quite like giving your name to the volunteer and having your number, cap and swag ready for you.


We were up and out early on race day morning.  Since switching my diet, I had an entirely new approach to pre race fueling and during race nutrition.  I was anxious and excited to see how it was gonna work.  Since this would be the first big race since I became a high fat, low carb eater I was hoping it was gonna pay off.


I LOVE that my coach was not only there but racing.  She is so motivating and such a kindred soul.  She makes me want to be great and I am grateful for her.  Secretly my goal was to catch her on the run (cause she is a monster on the bike) since I failed epic-ly at that attempt in Rocky Point.

I felt fantastic in the water and out on the bike.  My diet is WORKING and I killed it.  I was most nervous about the transition from the bike to the run, but as I approached transition after the bike I knew I had it.  Everything was ready for it.  Stomach wasn't slowing me down!



I left transition flying and just hoped that it wasn't a fluke and I could continue to hold it.  I even caught my coach :)


This race was most definitely a high point for me.  I felt fantastic through the whole race and cruised into a 2nd place age group finish after holding a solid 8:45min/mile pace for the run.  I felt so good!





The Dueces may have been a last minute race for me, but it was an amazing event for me.  The diet and changes I have made are working and making a huge difference.  The sky is the limit and I simply couldn't wipe the smile from my face.

Bridgit came in from her Half IRONMAN a couple hours later and after a 2nd place finish in her own age group, we couldn't help but feel unbelievably grateful for powerful coaching and our friendship in training.



The next morning following the race was lovely.  I spent the early morning making a Starbucks run with Evie (yes we were close to Starbucks.....Hallelujiah!)  and then enjoying a lovely hike with our buddies.  




Our entire weekend was a huge success and we came home with lots of bling to prove it.  I am proud of myself for executing a phenomenal race and I am proud of our family for living life boldly. 

I am getting stronger and stronger.  Next stop is the Boulder Peak Triathlon next month followed by a couple more races and then the push to IRONMAN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment