Sunday, March 20, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: 8 Months

To all my Friends and Family,

8 Months.  My IRONMAN is a mere 8 months away.  I have so much to do and every day it ebbs closer and closer.

Marathon season is over for me.  I focused and trained to run at my peak and did it.  I have had 3 weeks of recovery time to find my legs and focus again.  TRI season is upon me and this week marks the beginning.



The beginning of my training for IRONMAN.  How fitting that all my gear just showed up.

I cannot truly put into words how excited I am to BE HERE.  IRONMAN has been a long sought after dream.  I have waited years to start training and now I sit at the start doing my best to stay focused on the moment and not on the whole elephant.  I have a lot to do.

I am now coming face to face with the endless amount of meters I still must swim, the countless miles I must put on Lady Dash and the long road I must run down.  Even greater though is the weight of the sacrifices I must make.

A wise friend of mine said the following quote, "Yes you can do anything, but you can't do everything."  How true this is.  I know, without doubt, that I can finish IRONMAN, but it will absolutely require sacrifice.  There are simply not enough hours in the day, nor energy remaining to do it all.  So something is going to have to give.

Which is why I am writing to you.  You my friends and family are going to be my greatest sacrifice over the next 8 months.  I just simply don't have enough to be all that I want to be for you.  When you call.....I may not answer.  When you text I may never remember to respond.  If you email me, it may take longer than usual to hear back from me and shorter than I would normally write.  When we do connect our conversations may be short and distracted.  Forgive me.  I may have to turn down your invites again and again.  You may see my family more than you do me.  Forgive me.  I know the weight of my choice.  I just have to do this.

But know without question that I think of you often.  You my friends and family are always on my mind.  Whether you reside in North Carolina, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, California or Illinois, know that you reside quietly in corners of my heart.  I think about you in the solace of the water.  In the wee morning hours of my swims I remember you.  I pray over you with every pedal stroke on my bike.  I have open conversations with many of you while pounding the road and smile as I thank God you are in my life.   I reminisce about conversations we have had and memories we have made.  I look forward to the days when we will make more.  I long to have long one on one conversations with you, but when the time is finally available I must choose my children, my husband or sleep over you.  Don't take it personally, I just have to do this.

In this time of wandering how I am, know that I am good. No......I AM GREAT.  I am pursuing my dream and achieving a long growing personal goal.  Don't worry about me.  Instead. please love on my family.  Be there when I cannot.  Please continue to text.  Please continue to encourage.  Your support will truly energize me during the relentless summer and training hours.  You are valuable to me......every single one of you.  Please don't ever doubt it.


8 months from today when I cross that IRONMAN finish line I hope that you will cheer.  I pray that you will feel the victory because you experienced the burden of the sacrifice.  Having people that love and support you is one of life's greatest treasures.

Thank you for traveling this journey with me.

Bethany

4 comments:

  1. If I can ever help. I've got you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Randy. You inspire me. I wanna be like you when I grow up!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Randy. You inspire me. I wanna be like you when I grow up!

      Delete
  2. I'm here to help, and we would love watching the girls when you need it.

    ReplyDelete