Saturday, April 18, 2015

Journey to IRONMAN: 8 more weeks

It's in 8 weeks people!  My IRONMAN 70.3 is less than 2 months away and while I am so excited and ready, I am still a little overwhelmed with the reality that it is HERE!  IRONMAN is becoming more and more popular these days so you have to sign up for these events almost a YEAR in advance.  It's funny how easy it is to sign up, and how hard it is prepping yourself to actually do it.  I'm gonna do it......and its in 8 weeks.

Moving threw a monkey wrench in my training schedule.  There are only so many things that a person can stress about and the perfect training regimen had to take a backseat to the all consuming task of moving our household to another state.  The Colorado weather was also a little tricky to navigate as well considering the cold temps and on and off snow.  As of a week and a half ago I was back at it and in full training mode!  My biggest concern to date has been the cycling.  Its the longest event and I am just not completely comfortable on a bike.  I am happy to say that after a 54 mile ride, 45 mile ride and a 30+ ride I am feeling more and more confident.


Now I am working on getting the nutrition thing nailed down.  I will admit, I tend to be an emotional eater and with all of the changes and the fact that I miss my extended family and my running buddy, I have been consuming many a cookie and a plethora of Easter candy.  It's not been my finest hour and the other morning I woke up feeling horrible because I had binged on Runts (anyone remember those?) the night before.  I refuse to come down on myself too hard though, because lets face it.....moving is hard, but I have got to get back into healthy fueling if I am going to keep my body going full speed for 6+ hours in June.

I am so glad to be in AZ for this training time though because I get to workout early in the morning without having to worry about my girls.  It has taken some getting used to, but I love rising around 5 and being out in the city at 5:30.  It is hopping at that hour especially for athletic minded people like myself.  I am growing my confidence on my bike and am now trying to master how you ride and eat/drink all at the same time.  I was going uphill the other day and I needed fuel.  I swerved into the sand on the side of the road while trying not to litter and within 2 seconds found myself tipped over.  Thankfully I was going slow already and it wasn't a big issue, but really?  This cannot happen in my 70.3.  I'd be laughed off the course!

I just finished my first big brick workout where I combined all 3 events!  It was really fun to connect with other triathletes and finish our training courses.  I really felt accomplished today when I finished all my events feeling awesome!

I am so glad that I still have 8 weeks of work left, but I am getting excited for this race.  Just think in two months  I will have done it and will then have my sights set on the 140.6.  One step at a time.....I will be IRONMAN.


No comments:

Post a Comment