Monday, November 10, 2014

The Empty Wrapper

My sweet little Lily learned an invaluable lesson today and I found myself broken hearted at having to parent.  Sometimes teaching our children is far harder on us than them.

We have so much sugar in our house.  Halloween was good to the girls this year and we have a bag full of chocolate.  We dole it out at special times and keep it in a "safe" spot.  Today I realized that we just have far too  much candy and decided to get rid of some of it.  So I put it out on the ground and began to go through it.  Lily proceeded to ask if she could have a chocolate bar to which I replied, "After we have lunch we can absolutely have a chocolate bar."  She was quiet, but didn't argue.

I went through the candy, and was working on lunch when I looked over to find little Lily with chocolate on her face and a candy wrapper hidden behind her.  Muscling a giggle I calmly asked her if she had disobeyed and eaten a candy bar.  I prayed against prayer that she would choose to be truthful, but alas, she shook her head and gave me a decisive "No."  My heart broke because not only had she disobeyed, but she had chosen to lie to me.  I knew the punishment was going to have to be severe.

Bob and I agreed, and on top of a spanking for disobedience, sweet Lily had to throw every single one of her chocolate bars in the trash.  One by one I watched her and my heart broke.  What a loss.  Bob and I explained to her that her disobedience was wrong, but that her choice to lie was what cost her so much.   

There was a moment during all of this where I looked at that little empty wrapper and questioned our parenting.  Its just a wrapper, so small and non threatening.  Did the punishment match the crime? I was instantly reminded, however, of how sin has a way of starting small.  It starts with something small, but some day the lie will be big.  Sin has a way of doing that.  Being truthful is never a small task.  The choice to be truthful will be a defining characteristic of Lily, and it is my and Bob's job to shape it.  Even over an empty wrapper.  Even at such a high cost to her.

Lily Lu, 
I want you to know that today was as hard on me and your Daddy as it was on you.  We love you so much and hate to see you make wrong choices.  Being truthful may cost you honey, but lying will cost you far more. Always choose light and always choose truth.  Be a woman of integrity in every situation.  It won't always be easy, but I know without doubt that you can do it!

I love you
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment